Deco Lab/Wi-Fi Assistant -> Wi-Fi Diagnostics for my XE75 router only 3 of 5 stars, why?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco Lab/Wi-Fi Assistant -> Wi-Fi Diagnostics for my XE75 router only 3 of 5 stars, why?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-08-03 08:29:53 - last edited 2023-08-10 21:08:01
Tags: #Deco Lab #Wi-Fi Assistant
Model: Deco XE75  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.2.1 Build 20230601 Rel. 58453

New to TP-Link using the IOS Deco app on my home network, running the Wi-Fi Diagnostics in the Deco Lab/Wi-Fi Assistant, reports back a score of 3 out of 5 stars, why?

One would assume that at home, I should get 5 of 5 stars, instead of a comment of "This Wi-Fi is probably okay" with only 3 of 5 stars.  When I contact TP-Link support via chat, the agent could not provide me an explanation for this rating.  I finally convinced the agent to open a ticket so, I could .provide a screen-shot.  I received the following reply:

"This is Glen Ford one of the Supervisor of TP-LINK. We heard that you have a concern about the Wi-Fi Diagnostic. 
It just so happen that 3-5 Stars indicates that your Network is in a Normal Wi-Fi Performance. Though I understand 5 Stars is different from 3 or 4."

I certainly expected a better response then that!  How about some helpful advice and hints on why my TP-Link router connected via the supplied ethernet cable to my T-Mobile Gateway would have a 3 star rating?  Isn't the purpose of diagnostics is to debug and resolve issues?  Can anyone please provide some helpful instructions or should I return the 2 pack back to Amazon before August 16th?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Deco Lab/Wi-Fi Assistant -> Wi-Fi Diagnostics for my XE75 router only 3 of 5 stars, why?-Solution
2023-08-10 21:07:44 - last edited 2023-08-10 21:08:01

@Vegas54 

This is my planned posting.  I like to thank David-TP for responding to this posting.  Prior to me posting here, I had a online chat with support which I had to pracitally force them to open a ticket regarding this.  Afterward, a support manager emailed me to state that a 3 out of 5 star rating was ok.  I consider ok much different than "probably ok" which was the message in the IOs App stated.  Then, the manager sent another email asking if they could close the ticket.  I gave him permission to close the ticket only under the condition that the ticket be closed as UNSOLVED.  which I sincerely doubt he will do so.
Yesterday, I packed up my Deco XE75 2-pack and returned it to Amazon today.  I replaced the TP-Link with an ASUS router which I also ordered on Amazon.  It was overnighted to me for free and I immediately installed and am using it for Wi-Fi to make this post.

Thank you, David-TP!  I hope another user will find the information they you provided here is of value.  Good Bye!

Recommended Solution
Options
8 Reply
Re:Deco Lab/Wi-Fi Assistant -> Wi-Fi Diagnostics for my XE75 router only 3 of 5 stars, why?
2023-08-04 02:42:06

@Vegas54 

Hi, welcome to the community.

Could you please refer to this link to help me submit the Deco APP log so that I could check with the engineer for more suggestions?

How to submit Deco APP log 

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Options
Re:Deco Lab/Wi-Fi Assistant -> Wi-Fi Diagnostics for my XE75 router only 3 of 5 stars, why?
2023-08-04 05:25:47

@David-TP 
I followed the instructions you provided for How to submit Deco APP log  but the when I tap the SEND button, it does not respond.  What am I doing wrong?

Options
2023-08-04 06:23:01

@Vegas54 

Hi, would there be any errors? Or did it help if you try it again?

By the way, the engineers give me some updates on the WiFi Diagnostic result here. They explained the ping response time here is not so great. The comment-Fast Response of Ping here does not match the actual response time which is planned to be optimized later.

63af0d32080149fcaba5c370fdc5d4aa

Is your smartphone connected to the 2.4GHz of Deco?

I see you seemed like using the customized DNS server. Could you please try to change the DNS to 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4 under Deco APP>More>Advanced>DHCP server to see whether it helps reduce the ping time?

Thank you very much.

best regards.

Options
2023-08-04 07:07:40

@David-TP 

I do not get any errors.  My iPhone is connecting to Deco as 5 Ghz.  Not sure exactly what you mean...  I entered 8.8.8.8 for Primary and 8.8.4.4 for Secondary.  I reran the Diagnostics and got improvement to 4 stars and the message now says: "The Wi-Fi is safe and fast"  Is there anything else that I can change to get to 5 stars?

Options
2023-08-04 07:28:24

@Vegas54 
I just noticed the history and I did get a 4 star rating once on 7/21/23 and 2 other times on 7/23/23.  Also,  I got a 3 star again after reporting the 4 star and then back to 4 star.

So, not sure whether the DNS changes were effective.  What do you think?

Options
2023-08-05 10:28:54

@David-TP 

What is the criteria for the Deco App to rate the network 5 out of 5 stars? 

Options
2023-08-08 08:02:12

@Vegas54 

Hi, Thank you very much for your time and patience.

You could take the following information for reference:

• Ping response time<100ms
  • Wireless Signal Strength--excellent signal>-50dbm
  • Network Security--No DNS Hijacking or other potential security risk

Best regards.

Options
Re:Deco Lab/Wi-Fi Assistant -> Wi-Fi Diagnostics for my XE75 router only 3 of 5 stars, why?-Solution
2023-08-10 21:07:44 - last edited 2023-08-10 21:08:01

@Vegas54 

This is my planned posting.  I like to thank David-TP for responding to this posting.  Prior to me posting here, I had a online chat with support which I had to pracitally force them to open a ticket regarding this.  Afterward, a support manager emailed me to state that a 3 out of 5 star rating was ok.  I consider ok much different than "probably ok" which was the message in the IOs App stated.  Then, the manager sent another email asking if they could close the ticket.  I gave him permission to close the ticket only under the condition that the ticket be closed as UNSOLVED.  which I sincerely doubt he will do so.
Yesterday, I packed up my Deco XE75 2-pack and returned it to Amazon today.  I replaced the TP-Link with an ASUS router which I also ordered on Amazon.  It was overnighted to me for free and I immediately installed and am using it for Wi-Fi to make this post.

Thank you, David-TP!  I hope another user will find the information they you provided here is of value.  Good Bye!

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 528

Replies: 8

Tags

Deco Lab
Wi-Fi Assistant
Related Articles