Wiring question

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Wiring question

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Wiring question
Wiring question
2023-08-05 13:34:51
Model: ES20M  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

6201c66905a045008e0b698a0587d102

I thought it should be a simple connection but I can't get it to work.

The switch I'm trying to change is the left one, which controls a couple of hallway lights. ( The right switch controls the outlets in an adjacent great room and it looks like it's wire separately)

The original switch has the black wire connected to the bottom screw (line) and red to the top screw (load). The white wire is just open.

When circuit is on, the back and white wires have voltage and the red one doesn't.

After connecting the smart switch, voltage is present at Black and white wire. But no LED lights came on at the switch at all. 

I notice the switch is part of a GFCI circuit ( which has a light and a venting fan) in the bathroom behind it. Does it have anything to do with that?

Thanks for your help!

Options
3 Reply
Re:Wiring question
2023-08-07 10:00:39

@yman1437 

Regarding the switch wiring matter, we strongly advise you to follow the wiring instructions outlined in the product's Quick Installation Guide (QIG).

Prior to installation, ensure you accurately identify the type of wires in your electrical circuit. If you are uncertain, it is crucial to seek guidance from a qualified electrician.

Landscape Mode - Tapo App for PadShare Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Options
2023-08-07 12:52:46

@Wayne-TP 

Hi Wayne, thanks for the reply. I identified the line, load, neutral and ground and I have followed the instructions. But no lights came on at the smart switch and it wouldn't work. 

Any suggestions as to why?

Options
2023-08-11 07:32:40

@yman1437 

Is it possible for you to bypass the GFCI and rewire the switch for testing purposes?

If the switch can be powered on (led indicator turns on) when connected without the GFCI, could you please provide the model of your GFCI?

Landscape Mode - Tapo App for PadShare Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 553

Replies: 3

Related Articles