Tapo Smart Dimmer S505D keeps LED orange when Internet blocked

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-08-13 04:38:45 - last edited 2023-08-14 02:05:05
Tags: #S505D
Model: General Product  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.2 Build 230314 Rel. 085330

There is no selection in the Model dropdown menu for starting a new thread here for the Tapo smart switches -- ironic, given that this forum is dedicated to them...

Anyway, I generally block Internet access to IoT devices unless I'm configuring them in a way that requires the manufacturer's app or checking for new firmware. For security, I only use Apple's Home Kit for remote access to IoT devices.

I also consider the LED "Auto" mode on the Tapo switch very important -- I like to be able to see the switch when it's dark, but otherwise have that LED off.

Unfortunately, when the Tapo S505D cannot reach the Internet, it obnoxiously turns its LED to a bright orange and leaves it that way. Is there a way to configure this behavior through the app? If not, are there specific hosts that the switch is 'pinging' or doing DNS lookups for that I can spoof to a local address to make the switch think it can reach the Internet?

I'm considering removing the switch from the app to see if it will stop trying to reach the Internet if it doesn't think it's registered to the cloud -- but that's a pain.

Edit: I did try removing the switch from the app, and that removes it from HomeKit as well. :-( If I re0add it just to HomeKit, it has lost its LED Auto setting as well as its Dimmer calibration settings. :-( :-( Tapo folks -- are you seriously storing your switch settings in the cloud and not on the device? Or is it just that removing it from the Tapo app explicitly resets the switch (I didn't try removing it when the app couldn't reach the switch, maybe I will). I wish there a Matter-based method of setting the LED mode and the dimmer calibration that was supported in the Matter controller app (the Apple Home app in my case).

But this really annoys me that if I have used the Tapo app to set my LED mode and dimmer calibration -- whenever my Internet goes out, all the Tapo switches are goingt to start blinking orange. Tapo engineers -- if you're reading this, this is NOT GOOD.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Tapo Smart Dimmer S505D keeps LED orange when Internet blocked
2023-08-14 11:53:49

@b-nightowl 

The device's LED can be turned off in the APP: Settings ->LED Status. 

The default status is Auto, which allows user to know the current ON&OFF status of the light fixture, as well as the status of the smart switch. If the device is used in a local LAN, you can disable the LED to avoid the LED offline notices. 

a85ce246e6914a6d9404341ed91e080e

Share Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Options
Re:Tapo Smart Dimmer S505D keeps LED orange when Internet blocked
2023-08-14 17:11:38

@Wayne-TP 

I don't want the LED disabled -- I prefer the Auto behavior. Turning it off to avoid the orange blink during loss of internet activity would defeat the point.

If you add the Tapo to the app to set the LED to auto and calibrate the dimmer and then remove it from the app to try to avoid the orange blinking on internet loss, that resets the app completely forcing a re-add to HomeKit as well.

If you add the Tapo to HomeKit through Matter only and never add it to the app, not only can you ever calibrate the dimmer, but unfortunately the LED is NOT defaulting to Auto -- it is defaulting to None.

I haven't done a Wireshark-like packet sniffer yet, but I suspect the Tapo switch is constantly trying to phone home even if never added to the Tapo app.

So bottom line -- the switch does not behave as you say. Please try it for yourself.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 359

Replies: 2

Tags

S505D
Related Articles