Multiple Kasa Devices went offline at more than one location all on the same day

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Multiple Kasa Devices went offline at more than one location all on the same day

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-08-25 17:28:40
Model: General Product  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I returned to my home (location one) to find the following devices offline:

HS200 Smart Switches (all 4 of them) blinking Red

HS103 Smart Outlet - solid Orange

This location has other HS103's that are connected and working

I opened the Kasa App to see what I could find:

In additonal to the offline devices at my current location I found an additional device offline at "location two"

KP303 Power Strip 

This location has KP115's, HS105's, HS103's and a single HS200 all working fine

I am thinking this is NOT a network issue.  The devices affected are in two different location with two different internet providers.   Location one has fiber provided by Frontier.  Location two is serviced by Spectrum.

For one of the Smart Switches I performed a reset to factory setttings.  I tried to add the device back into my account.  I can connect my phone to the devices wifi network and enter my wifi password.  The app tries and tries to "Connect Smart Switch to Your Home Network" and times out.

I repeated these steps for the Smart Outlet and get to same point where the app is unable to connect the outlet to my Home Network.

For reference:

A working HS103 at location one (hardware version 1.0, firmware version 1.5.7)  

A working HS103 at location two (hardware version 3.0, firmware version 1.04)

The working HS200 a location two (hardware version 3.0, firmware version 1.1.5)

The app is not reporting that any online device has a pending firmware update and I don't know how to determine the hardware or firmware version of an offline device.  

Any thoughts as to what might have happened?  Baffled at how mutiple Kasa devices of various models could all fail on the same day.  

Also note the eero app I am using in location one is showing the four smart switches popping into the list of online devices but they don't stay long and drop back down to "Recently Online".  Back and forth repeatedly, seems they can get connected, they just can't stay connected.

Any suggestions much appreciated. I really like the Kasa products (I have about 30 of them across 4 properties), never had an issue until now.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Multiple Kasa Devices went offline at more than one location all on the same day
2023-08-29 06:18:26

@SusanS 

What's the model of your router? Do you have the same routers in these two locations?

For comparison test, try to bring the problem HS200 and HS103 location two and connect the router there. 

Share Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Options
Re:Multiple Kasa Devices went offline at more than one location all on the same day
2023-09-01 11:03:29

@Wayne-TP 

Apologies for not mentioning the Router specs.  

Location One -  Eero Pro 6 - software version v6.15.3-12.  I switched to Frontier a month or so ago and all devices came online without issues and have been stable until now.

Location Two - Sagecom F@st5260 (separate networks for 2.4 and 5).  Location two is out of state so not easily traveled to.  I could bring the troublesome HS103 next time I travel there.   The switch would be a little more effort to to disconnect and take with me.

For now I would like to focus on solving the issue with location one. HS200 switches still in and out of connectivity in the Eero app.  If they have a red light on them, I tap reset and they come back online for a time and then drop back out.

I spent some time googling and found others with Eero / Kasa connectivity issues. I am new to the "mesh" network thing but in the Eero app I can see which devices are using 2.4 and which are using 5.   All of the "offline" devices, when briefly connected, are hitting 2.4 but there are several other Kasa Plugs also on 2.4 that are stable.

Not sure if assigning a static IP to these devices would help. 

Options
2023-09-05 11:39:32

@SusanS 

For comparison test, can you try to connect the HS200 to a guest network or a hotspot wifi?

How many 2.4GHz devices are there on your Eero network?

Share Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Options
2023-09-05 12:28:37

@Wayne-TP 

Yes I will try that.

I have a total of 44 devices connected to the Eero

4 hardwired to a switch that is connected to the Eero

23 connected to 5ghz

17 connected 2.4

Of the 17, 10 are kasa devices.  The others include 2 printers, 2 air conditioners, an iRobot and a weather station.

I will try your suggestion on one of the HS200.

Thanks 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 319

Replies: 4

Related Articles