Smart switch suddenly flashing green and won’t connect

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-08-26 12:42:54

After 1-2 years of one of our multiple smart switches working fine and on a schedule, it stopped working. WiFi light is flashing green. App says device is offline. I have factory reset the switch and tried reinstalling 4 times but always fails when connecting to my home WiFi. I have also reset my router. Switch still works manually. Any ideas?

Options
3 Reply
Re:Smart switch suddenly flashing green and won’t connect
2023-08-28 19:34:09

@Mm10,

So flashing green means that it is searching for Wi-Fi 

To be sure, did you perform a factory reset(10 sec press of RESET) or a soft reset (5sec press of RESET)?

After resetting, you may consider removing the device from your Kasa app. 

At what point in the setup did you fail? Is your phone successfully connecting to the setup network broadcast by your switch for config?

Have you recently made any changes to your network? Do you have a guest or IoT network that you could try to connect the device to?

Options
2023-08-28 19:46:51

@Riley_S Thanks for the reply!

Yes on factory reset. Multiple times.

The device has been removed from my app.

My phone connects to the TP network when setting up my app and then when it asks for my home network, it never connects.

I have made no changes. My other Kasa smart switch is working fine. I don't have another network set up.

Options
2023-08-28 21:13:57

@Mm10,

Hmm.

First, check to make sure that you have not set an IP reservation for the device in your router interface, and that your firewall is not blocking the connections. If you had set a custom name for the switch in the past, a reservation may have been created for you by accident.

What router are you attempting to connect the device to?

It could be possible that your modem or router was updated and turned on a feature causing the disconnect, such as Turbo-QAM. I have seen similar problems with Linksys updates in the past.

Also,  ensure that you do not have a VPN enabled and that you do not have Private Addressing enabled on your phone for your home network or the setup network.

Do you have another phone or tablet that you would be able to try and use to install the app?

If possible, I would highly recommend seeing if your router supports a guest network, as this may provide a bit more insight into where the issue lies.

Options