Kara Smart Plugs Not Responding to Google Voice Commands

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-09-13 12:20:53
Model: Kasa  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Model:  EP10P4(US) Ver 1.6 (I was not able to enter model # into the input box above.)

I configured this plug to control a light in my basement. Installation and configuration went as expected. I can turn this switch on/off using the Kasa app or Google Home (via screen taps). However, when attempting to use voice control ("Hey Google, turn on Shop Light."), Google responds with "Sorry, I don't understand." I've tried synching my Google devices, but that didn't help. Any other suggestive would be appreciated.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Kara Smart Plugs Not Responding to Google Voice Commands
2023-09-13 16:37:22

@S_E_W,

My first thought is that it is because you are saying "Light" when you are technically turning off a Plug/Switch

Does saying switch instead work? You may try going into the device settings from the Google Home app - i think you may force it to be shown as a light instead. 

You could also configure a routing to figure out which voice command would be able to trigger the command

Options
2023-09-13 17:24:02
I should have mentioned that I relabeled the Kasa switch to "Shop Light" and that I can see the switch labeled "Shop Light" on my Google Home and Kasa app. I am also able to turn the switch on/off in Google Home and Kasa by clicking on the icon labeled "Shop Light." I should be able to say Hey Google, turn Shop Light on (or off) and it should respond appropriately as do other non-Kasa switches that I have set up.
Options
2023-09-13 19:20:01

@S_E_W 

After further testing, I see that while saying, "Hey Google, turn on Shop Light" gets a verbal response from Google, "I don't understand"and no response from the Kasa switch, tapping the Google Assistant icon to bring up its input box and typing in "Turn on Shop Light" results in the correct behavior, i.e., Shop Light in basement turns on. Any ideas and suggestions based on this latest info would be appreciated.

Options
2023-09-13 19:22:06

@S_E_W,

Its not as much the naming of the device that needs to be changed, but the device type. You can switch the device between outlet, fan, humidifier, tv etc.

If your device is named as a light, but the device is still set and seen as a switch/plug - your Google Assistant may be getting confused. If the name of the basement is "Shop" it could also cause problems with the way that Google interprets your commands.

Try the routine feature to create different commands to see what command will actually allow the device to be controlled, as this will give a good idea of why it is being interpreted this way.

Normally you will hear that the Device has not been set up yet, or is unavailable - So I would recommend trying to relink your Kasa and Google Home Accounts. 

Also, make sure that you have moved the device out of the "Linked Devices" section and into a room. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 371

Replies: 4

Related Articles