Who should get "high priority" and what does that actually mean?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-09-20 16:28:39 - last edited 2023-09-20 16:29:52
Model: Deco XE75 Pro  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.2.2

Hi,

I have come here from years of super expensive Netgear Orbi systems that always had problems. And finally I could not take it anymore. Got the XE75 Pro which turns out to have features and performance that means $!K+ if I was to continue my Orbi upgrades. So I didn't. The XE75 Pro is just great and bliew my mind! The app is waaaaaaay ahead of the really bad Orbi one. However, there are are a few fearures on the XE75 Pro that i do not know exactly how work. The main one is what giving a device "high prioriy" actually means. Why would I want to do that and what will it mean for the device getting "high" priority" and to the rest of devices connected to the network? I have given hight priority to an ethernet connected gaming rig. Is that a good idea? What other devices will benefit from "high priority"? 

Options
5 Reply
Re:Who should get "high priority" and what does that actually mean?
2023-09-20 22:27:35

Hey @cdysthe,

Glad you are enjoying the system so far!

What you used this feature for is actually well within what it was designed for. The High Priority setting is a part of the Deco's QoS (Quality of Service) and will do a few things for your device:

In times when there is not enough bandwidth to support all your devices, the Decos will make sure that you have a stable connection on the high-priority device compared to the other devices.

When downloading and creating a large amount of network traffic, your network may decide to use a larger percentage of your total bandwidth for the download. This could potentially affect other devices on your network(particularly if you have a smaller bandwidth from your ISP alone), such as Smart TVs, that would also be using a larger than normal amount of traffic.

Wired Devices are less likely to be affected since they already have a reliable connection, but the setting will take effect if your received speed from your ISP falls.

Essentially, try adding any devices that you want to make sure have a consistent and stable connection at all times, even when your network may be experiencing a slowdown or have extra load added. If you have a 4K TV in your living room that seems to buffer, or experience lags in your games - you may consider enabling the High Priority and QoS settings.

Options
2023-09-21 17:37:02

Riley_S wrote

Hey @cdysthe,

Glad you are enjoying the system so far!

What you used this feature for is actually well within what it was designed for. The High Priority setting is a part of the Deco's QoS (Quality of Service) and will do a few things for your device:

In times when there is not enough bandwidth to support all your devices, the Decos will make sure that you have a stable connection on the high-priority device compared to the other devices.

When downloading and creating a large amount of network traffic, your network may decide to use a larger percentage of your total bandwidth for the download. This could potentially affect other devices on your network(particularly if you have a smaller bandwidth from your ISP alone), such as Smart TVs, that would also be using a larger than normal amount of traffic.

Wired Devices are less likely to be affected since they already have a reliable connection, but the setting will take effect if your received speed from your ISP falls.

Essentially, try adding any devices that you want to make sure have a consistent and stable connection at all times, even when your network may be experiencing a slowdown or have extra load added. If you have a 4K TV in your living room that seems to buffer, or experience lags in your games - you may consider enabling the High Priority and QoS settings.

@Riley_S Thank! I think I get it. I'm on a 1.4G connection. Will using QoS and high priority really make a difference with that kind of bandwidht available? I seem to remember that on the Netgear Orbi routers the documentation said it was not neccessary to enable QoS if you have a lot of bandwidth to play with. Is the Deco's QoS implementation different in this regard? 

Options
2023-09-21 17:45:15

@cdysthe,

At the higher speeds, QoS is much less of a priority. We normally see QoS to be the most effective when your plan is below 350mbps and there is a possibility that you will "run out" of bandwidth. The Decos can handle and manage the higher bandwidth no problem, the benefits just won't be seen nearly as much/often.

The real benefit of the Deco's QoS is the High Priority Device feature, which will prioritize the traffic and packets going toward that device but has the potential shortcomings that i mentioned above.

The effectiveness of the settings will really depend on your individual network layout and data usage. so you may consider doing some testing to see if toggling the setting provides a better or worse experience for your needs.

Options
2023-10-27 02:21:18

@Riley_S How many devices set up with priority is considered too much on a deco m5 and m9plus mesh? I have 40 crypto mining rigs connected via an ethernet un-managed switch connected to Ethernet ports on a few deco's around the house. I categorize these Linux rigs as chatty traffic when receiving jobs and submitting shares, but not bandwidth demanding by any means... I have a few TV's with streaming service, but only used one at a time. My ISP connection speed attached to main Deco is 220Mbps download and 34Mbps upload...

Riley_S wrote

@cdysthe,

At the higher speeds, QoS is much less of a priority. We normally see QoS to be the most effective when your plan is below 350mbps and there is a possibility that you will "run out" of bandwidth. The Decos can handle and manage the higher bandwidth no problem, the benefits just won't be seen nearly as much/often.

The real benefit of the Deco's QoS is the High Priority Device feature, which will prioritize the traffic and packets going toward that device but has the potential shortcomings that i mentioned above.

The effectiveness of the settings will really depend on your individual network layout and data usage. so you may consider doing some testing to see if toggling the setting provides a better or worse experience for your needs.

Options
2023-10-27 17:42:39

Hey @DLegrand,

When it comes to mining, my knowledge is very limited, but I recall it using very minimal bandwidth overall.

For priority settings, the best way to think of it is that these priority devices will take the bandwidth away from other devices in order to complete their request/job as quick as possible with the best possible connection. Due to the low bandwidth requirements of mining, the devices may not even have time to trigger the Priority status of the QoS.

For complexity's sake, you may consider eliminating these settings and seeing if there is any change in connection or in your throughput at the end of the day. With so many servers, you may be able to immediately tell if QoS is affecting your rates.

You should also consider a managed switch for your situation, as you can manually set QoS between the different ports and have finite traffic control, well beyond what Deco's provide.

Do you happen to see problems in your devices' connections?

Which node is your main node? 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3836

Replies: 5

Related Articles