Many Smart Switches and Plugs constantly resetting when blocked

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-10-04 18:55:00 - last edited 2023-10-05 17:34:18
Model: HS200  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 1.0.10

I have several of these switches, as well as some smart plugs too and all exhibit the behavior I am about to describe.

I am using all these devices through Home Assistant, which I do have direct remote access to. I do not need the Kasa Remote Access at all. In order to keep Internet traffic to a minimum I have blocked *tplinkra.com and *.tplinkcloud.com in my router. However when I do this, the devices are either resetting or requesting a new DHCP address when attempting to call home and can not, thus causing them to reset something. If I disable this block, they do not exhibit this behavior at all. The Kasa app once had a switch to disable remote access, but that is apparently gone now.

So how can I either turn off their Remote Access (since the app no longer has this switch) or successfully block them in my router without them resetting every 30 minutes or so?

Thank you.

EDIT: I should mention that all these devices are on static IPs assigned from my router and all have good to great connection quality (2.4ghz only).

Options
1 Reply
Re:Many Smart Switches and Plugs constantly resetting when blocked
2023-10-05 17:25:49 - last edited 2023-10-05 17:34:18

I was able to unbind these devices from tplinkcloud by using the kasa-python app. This allowed me to remove the block in my router which was causing my devices to reboot.

kasa --debug --host 192.168.*.* raw-command cnCloud unbind

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 117

Replies: 1

Related Articles