No way to easily change wifi network password

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-10-07 23:51:40
Model: HS200  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.1.5

Good network security practices generally say to change your wifi network password every 3 to 6 months. Given that I have 21 kasa switches and 8 plugs that's proably an all day process to reset them all and reprogram the schedules and fix any Alexa or IFTTT routines associated with them. From looking at posts on this forum this has been a thoroughly ignored issue even though many people have brought it up over several years. Going to find my last review on Amamzon and make sure potential buyers understand this unacceptable position they will be putting themselves in if they buy these switches and plugs. With this many devices I'm unfortunately stuck for now but will look to progressively replace them as time goes by. 

Options
2 Reply
Re:No way to easily change wifi network password
2023-10-10 00:48:26

@BastropGuy,

Unfortunately, the feature doesn't exist due to the fact that your devices would need to be connected to the network to communicate with your phone in the first place to receive the new password. Have you had a smart plug in the past that could do these batch password changes? 

I believe that there are new methods of doing this due to the matter protocol's use of Bluetooth Provisioning, but the Matter protocol is still in its infancy and the feature is not widely rolled out at all. Saying that, I do believe that our latest smart plug actually implemented BT provisioning and a BT chip, making the process far easier than before.

Instead of using your main wireless network, many users are electing to place the devices on the guest or IoT network. This would minimize the effects of any breaches, should one occur on your network - and will also allow you to change the password of your main Wi-Fi network while keeping the network for your IoT devices the same.

Options
Re:No way to easily change wifi network password
2023-10-10 19:15:50
I have had wifi locks for many years that have Bluetooth as well as wifi. No problem to go to settings to change the wifi settings. There are probably any number of ways to solve this specific security issue, just takes someone at tp-link deciding they want to do it for their customers. One approach that comes to mind would be to have the ability to configure 2 passwords and have a button on the switch/plug to toggle it between the 2. Just enter a new password and then toggle to it after changing it on the wifi network device. Or have 2 SSIDs and passwords to facilitate changing to another network. Just one additional approach if adding Bluetooth is not a preferred solution.
Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 229

Replies: 2

Related Articles