app Dimmer Capability

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

app Dimmer Capability

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
app Dimmer Capability
app Dimmer Capability
2023-10-18 01:15:58 - last edited 2023-10-20 21:29:00
Model: KS220  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Considering this Dimmer Switch:  Kasa Apple HomeKit Smart Dimmer Switch KS220.  Need to know if the light can be dimmed or brightened via the Tapo app and/or the iPhone Home app or any other app.  If anyone could let me know, it would be most helpful!  thanks!!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:app Dimmer Capability-Solution
2023-10-20 18:59:53 - last edited 2023-10-20 21:29:00

@Marbo,

Matter almost makes the device have an "open-platform" setup option rather than forcing setup through the Tapo app and then linking your account. It is focused on local control and stability between devices- and I highly recommend that everyone slowly update your main smart home to use the protocol if possible - especially since Homekit is generally moving towards matter control, as you have seen with your mini pod. With matter devices, you can also set up the device via different platforms simultaneously, meaning that the device doesn't need to be linked to a service and instead can be controlled by multiple at once.

For your specific case, I would recommend going with the Kasa Wi-Fi Dimmer (KS220) since it has Homekit Compatability via Wi-Fi and Does not require a hub to work with Homekit.

In the future, it is likely that you will have some sort of matter controller on your network through a TV or Voice Assistant, and it will be well worth using Matter Devices instead. It is extremely easy to set up and work with, however, you do need to make sure that your network has a compatible hub attached.

One last point on Matter: it is a protocol focused on the local control and communication of devices. This means that instead of your devices simply connecting to your Wi-Fi, your devices can actually talk to each other and forward commands to each other, almost as a mesh. 

Recommended Solution
Options
8 Reply
Re:app Dimmer Capability
2023-10-18 16:44:55

@Marbo,

If you are looking solely for Tapo compatibility, I would recommend looking specifically at Tapo dimmers such as the S505D or S500D. As for Homekit and Third Party compatibility, the S505D will provide similar functionality through its matter implementation, but you will need to ensure that your smart home is ready for matter.

The rollout of the feature allowing control of Kasa devices from within the Tapo app is only just starting, and compatibility is still being added to specific modes. For example, the KS230 (3-Way Dimmer) was added to the Tapo app only a week or two ago.

All Kasa and Tapo Devices can also be used in Google Home, Samsung SmartThings, and Amazon Alexa.

Options
2023-10-18 18:35:42

@Riley_S   Thanks so much for your reply Riley!  Much appreciated!  Hadn't noticed the S505D until you mentioned it but since I've now had the chance to take a look at it, I'm very interested!!  What do you mean, "but you will need to ensure that your smart home is ready for matter."        The router that works in the envirornment that this dimmer will be used in is TP-Link AC4000 Archer A20 V3, if that helps answer the question.  thanks in advance!

Options
2023-10-18 19:03:15

@Marbo,

Matter devices require a hub or controller of some sort to act as the host of your matter 'network' of devices. Many Smart Home Hubs have Matter compatibility built-in, so you may already have one on your network. I would recommend checking your Apple Home devices, Tvs, and Pods to see if they have been updated to support the protocol.

We do provide a larger list of matter hubs in this FAQ for Setup, but the Matter Protocol is considered to be an open-source protocol, and there are many options available/ being added each day. 

It's worth mentioning that the matter functionality is optional, as the device will be able to communicate with official servers via its cloud/wifi connection.

Matter control simply allows you to also add your devices to another company's smart home controller if supported.

Options
2023-10-18 19:48:28

@Riley_S I currently use the Tapo app for some smart plugs located in my second home in another state.  Can I use the same Tapo app to add this dimmer switch (S505D) located in another state aprox 1000 miles away?  I also use the iPhone Home app, the smartThings app and Alexa.  Can these dimmer switches be added to all of these apps/services at the same time? 

Options
2023-10-18 20:58:57

@Marbo,

It would depend on what you have access to on the same network as the S505D.

If you have a Matter-Compatible Device/Hub from Apple, I would set the device up via Matter and also add the device to your Tapo App.

If the place you are going to use the device is not a "Smart Home," and you aren't looking to add matter compatibility to that home, then you may be best with the Kasa variant that can connect to Homekit directly via Wi-Fi.

1 - Multiple Homes: You may configure multiple homes within the Tapo app to separate your devices.

Separate Locations should not be an issue. However, the device and matter hub(if using the matter functionality) need to be on the same network.

2 - Apple Home - Matter Compatability can be used to add the device directly to Apple Home, however this will need a compatible matter device/hub to connect through

3 - Smartthings and Alexa can use Matter to set the device up directly if you have a compatible-matter hub from either of their product lines.

*Only Two Matter Hubs Can Be Used in Addition to the Tapo App's Controls

** Linking your Account to a Voice Assistant Does Not Count as a Hub and Can Be Done at any point

Don't forget that most services allow you to log in and link your Tapo Account to their services, syncing your smart home devices between the two. This is commonly used for Voice Assistants and SmartThings.

Options
2023-10-18 21:43:19

@Marbo Thanks again for your wealth of information!  Much appreciated.  Please don't take this personally but with all that is said & done, I think I still don't completly underdand the benitfit of "matter" and how to use it to benifit although, I expect it has clear benifit.  My 2nd home (NOT where the dimmer will be placed) is equipt with a Homekit mimi pod.  Slowly, I'm adding devices set up in both homes to my iPhone Home app via this hub.  There is also a few TP-Link Matter Smart Plug devices running via the Tapo app at that location.  In my primary home, there is wifi lighting, Samsung microwave fan & TV (on the SmartThings app) along with a chromecast but I don't think there are any matter devices currently (that I'm aware of).  I've thought that matter is the newist platform that is simple to impliment although With that said, I'm still not sure if I should purchase the dimmer with or without matter.  Can you provide one last suggestion??  Thanks again for your time with this!!

Options
Re:app Dimmer Capability-Solution
2023-10-20 18:59:53 - last edited 2023-10-20 21:29:00

@Marbo,

Matter almost makes the device have an "open-platform" setup option rather than forcing setup through the Tapo app and then linking your account. It is focused on local control and stability between devices- and I highly recommend that everyone slowly update your main smart home to use the protocol if possible - especially since Homekit is generally moving towards matter control, as you have seen with your mini pod. With matter devices, you can also set up the device via different platforms simultaneously, meaning that the device doesn't need to be linked to a service and instead can be controlled by multiple at once.

For your specific case, I would recommend going with the Kasa Wi-Fi Dimmer (KS220) since it has Homekit Compatability via Wi-Fi and Does not require a hub to work with Homekit.

In the future, it is likely that you will have some sort of matter controller on your network through a TV or Voice Assistant, and it will be well worth using Matter Devices instead. It is extremely easy to set up and work with, however, you do need to make sure that your network has a compatible hub attached.

One last point on Matter: it is a protocol focused on the local control and communication of devices. This means that instead of your devices simply connecting to your Wi-Fi, your devices can actually talk to each other and forward commands to each other, almost as a mesh. 

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-10-20 21:28:46

@Riley_S Thanks so much for your explination!!  Your have been MOST helpful!!  As  much as I'd like to make the Matter product the right fil, I think you are correct:  In this instance I think I'm better off with the Kasa.  I love the Tapo app. as it is always consistant and reliyable.  The Tapo app along with HomeKit will get the job done.  I'm looking forward to getting it installed.  Thanks again!  I'll also keep my eyes pealed for future Matter devices that are a good fit.  I'm specificaly partial to TP-Link as I find their products solid and the customer service clear, helpful & truly consumer focused. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 283

Replies: 8

Related Articles