Get Serial # for device

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Get Serial # for device

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Get Serial # for device
Get Serial # for device
2023-10-24 22:21:27
Tags: #Registration
Model: HS220   HS200  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version:

My devices were installed and the electrician threw away the boxes. How do I get serial numbers to register the devices? Does Kasa/TP-Link have a database of MAC address to serial number. If give you the Mac address, will you be able to send me the corresponding serial number?

Options
4 Reply
Re:Get Serial # for device
2023-10-25 17:09:46

@Ravi4242,

I do not believe that serial and MAC addresses are connected. However, the label on each device has the serial number. For switches and dimmers, the label is, unfortunately on the back of the switch. 

Options
2023-10-26 13:33:16

@Riley_S Thanks for the quick response. I was hoping for a more elegant approach than opening up boxes for 95+ switches and outlets. Fortunately, I captured the serial number info for most of them that I purchased and installed in the last 60 days but I have no history for those purchased and installed in November 2022.

It will be a cool enhancement within the app, if it allowed users to "register" once the new switch was installed.

Options
2023-10-27 16:47:55

@Ravi4242,

I can see what i can do about recommending this, but I have a slight feeling that this was actually the process a long time ago but would automatically bind the device to your TP-Link ID - potentially making it difficult to add the device to another Kasa app without removing it from the first account. I will recommend to the teams that we see the S/N in the app if possible, and to provide a product registration option in the app.

Options
2023-10-27 20:43:32

@Riley_S Binding it to the Kasa/TP-Link account makes complete sense. This is true for most devices (example Unifi network devices like WAPs). Even without this feature, when I add a switch or outlet to the Kasa app, it binds that device to that User Account. But the same action can transmit the account info over the registration app.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 527

Replies: 4

Tags

Registration
Related Articles