Votes

Reenable smart action where the "when" & "then" parts referenced the same device.

Votes

Reenable smart action where the "when" & "then" parts referenced the same device.

2023-10-24 23:14:55 - last edited 2024-02-04 00:36:32

Until very recently, one could create a smart action where the "when" & "then" parts referenced the same device.

This was a very good idea.  It allowed to create smart actions that automatically turned:

1. Off a bathroom fan, 20 minutes after it had been switched on.
  2. On a switch that had inadvertently been turned off, 5 seconds later.  This is useful to keep outside lights on, or to keep a horse water trough heater on, to avoid freezing.

Unfortunately, someone at Kasa thought this was a bad idea (or never thought how it could be used), & disabled "when" & "then" parts referencing the same device.

PLEASE restore this functionality!!!

I have a couple work-arounds, but they are messy.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Reenable smart action where the "when" & "then" parts referenced the same switch.-Solution
2024-02-04 00:33:02 - last edited 2024-02-04 00:36:32

@Riley_S I tried the new Tapo app, & copied all my devices & smart actions successfully.  I was hoping that the above problem would be fixed in the new Tapo app.  Unfortunately, it is not.

More specifically, you cannot create a trigger which activates when a switch is turned OFF, & then create an action that turns the same switch ON.  You simply cannot select the same switch.

This problem does not appear to occur with bulbs & plugs.  Weird.

However, I then discovered that you can create a trigger which activates when a switch is turned ON, & then create an action that turns the same switch ON (with  a delay).  You can then edit the trigger to select OFF as the action, & you are done!

This is an acceptable solution to the problem (so long as there are no interfering software updates).

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Reenable smart action where the "when" & "then" parts referenced the same device.
2023-12-22 20:12:03 - last edited 2024-02-04 00:36:14

@Riley_S Riley_ Any idea on if/when this might be re-enabled?

Options
Re:Reenable smart action where the "when" & "then" parts referenced the same switch.-Solution
2024-02-04 00:33:02 - last edited 2024-02-04 00:36:32

@Riley_S I tried the new Tapo app, & copied all my devices & smart actions successfully.  I was hoping that the above problem would be fixed in the new Tapo app.  Unfortunately, it is not.

More specifically, you cannot create a trigger which activates when a switch is turned OFF, & then create an action that turns the same switch ON.  You simply cannot select the same switch.

This problem does not appear to occur with bulbs & plugs.  Weird.

However, I then discovered that you can create a trigger which activates when a switch is turned ON, & then create an action that turns the same switch ON (with  a delay).  You can then edit the trigger to select OFF as the action, & you are done!

This is an acceptable solution to the problem (so long as there are no interfering software updates).

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 222

Replies: 2

Voters 0

No one has voted for it yet.