Motion sensor switch KS200M suddenly doesn't work although enabled

2023-10-31 04:43:04
Model: KS220M  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have a motion sensor switch KS200M that has worked fine for a year and a half as my garage light switch and then today I noticed the light didn't turn off.  I checked the switch and the LED is on and I could manually click the button and see the LED ring go on/off.  I can also control it via the app fine and see the LED ring go on/off.  But, the actual light wouldn't turn on/off.  I tried resetting the switch and even cut it at the breaker and turned it back on, but it wouldn't work, even manually.

I ended up taking the switch out, but then wanted to check one thing and put it back in and turned the power back on and it started working for some reason.  I'm wondering if the switch is dying and I happened to just luck out or if there's something else going on.  Anyone experience this before?

Options
7 Reply
Re:Motion sensor switch KS200M suddenly doesn't work although enabled
2023-10-31 16:35:01

@SmartyPants,

When you were disconnecting the switch to take it out, did you happen to notice if any of the wires had become loose? It's possible that a loose connection could cause a similar behavior, even though I would have expected the power to also be cut.

Do you happen to know if the device received a firmware update at any point during this process?

When you reset the switch, did you use a soft or factory reset? If it was only a soft reset, it would explain why a reset did not solve the behavior.

Options
2023-10-31 20:36:41
I did a full reset before taking the switch out. All wires were connected fine and as mentioned, the switch seemed to be working with the led turning on/off and even being able to control it via the app. Is there a physical switch inside? I noticed that it doesn't make as loud of a switching sound as the other one I have. If so, maybe taking it out and jiggling the switch did something?
Options
2023-10-31 21:33:56

@SmartyPants,

It's possible; however, I have never seen it before - and I imagine that your jiggling is lighter than what happens naturally during shipping and transit.

I believe that the switching sound you are hearing is the physical connection inside the switch being toggled. Separating the switch functionality from the physical operation is what allows for smart functionality, and I believe the noise that you are hearing can vary between devices.

Did you happen to make any changes to the rest of the lights, such as changing how much power the switch needed to deliver? Either way I would recommend keeping an eye on the light, to see if the behavior returns - if it does, you may consider getting in direct contact with our support team.

Options
2023-10-31 21:44:43
Thanks for the reply. I haven't made any changes to that switch or the circuits or anything else. I didn't do any firmware updates manually. I'll monitor it and see if it does it again. I noticed that it started to not turn off the lights, but I was able to turn them off manually or via the app. Then the other day, I tried to turn it off and it just wouldn't do it at all. So it was displaying some symptoms for the week or so leading up to it just outright failing.
Options
2023-11-04 03:46:42
So it failed again today. Lights left on, LED ring still on and goes on/off when I push the button, can control it via the app but couldn't actually turn off the light. I gave the switch a whack with my hand and it started working again. At this point, it seems like something is wrong in the switch itself.
Options
2024-02-05 12:06:56

Same problem with my KS200M starting Feb 4. Everything "appears" operational... LED on device and status in app, BUT the garage light doesn't actually turn off. 

Options
2024-04-03 20:23:07

@SmartyPants Exactly same here. it does not turn off after a certain time. The LED light and app look working however the light always stay on. Anyone who solved the issue?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 370

Replies: 7

Related Articles