Recording Questions/Issues

2023-11-12 12:32:46
Model: KC420WS  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 2.3.20

I've been using cameras for a long time (Arlo, etc). Bought this KC420WS to remotely monitor our RV. I put a 256G microSD card in, expecting to be able to monitor any activity clips without having to buy a subscription. Apparently I can't do that? Is it just to be able to push subscriptions or am I wrong?

Do I have to put it in 24/7 mode to do that, and if so, why would that be, doesn't make sense. If I go to 24/7 will I still  get activity alerts? Ready to return it, this is all pretty confusing. I read the https://community.tp-link.com/us/smart-home/stories/detail/502014 and still not clear. Support is ridiculous, vague late responses and when you follow up they want all the info on the camera model, firmaware version, etc all over again.

I get activity hits every night but when I click them I get the live view, and there's nothing in the Activity page. Strong wifi signal (-49dBm). This has been going on for weeks now.

Options
1 Reply
Re:Recording Questions/Issues
2023-11-14 18:23:05

@Diver4242 

To answer your question.  Yes 24/7 Recording does need to be enabled to use local storage and point recording activity to the local storage, the MicroSD card you installed and formatted.  Additionally, locally stored recordings are accessed from a separate menu.  You will tap on the camera in question and then 24/7 Recordings.  What you will see is a timeline with callouts below when activity is detected.  If you are using AI detections those callouts will be color-coded for identification.  

The activity menu is exclusively for cloud recordings so that is why they menu is blank when you get notification. 

Options