Kasa ks230 kit v2 failing after use

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-11-15 22:29:11
Model: KS230 KIT  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I've installed the KS230 Kit V2 and it failed after about 10 days.   I purchased another and the same thing happened.  The mode of failure is one where the led status lights suggest the switch is working fine, yet the lights do not come on.  Any thoughts?

Options
4 Reply
Re:Kasa ks230 kit v2 failing after use
2023-11-16 01:43:28

@FINAO,

Have you verified that the device is not being put under stress or overloaded?

The fact that it fails after that long of a period, indicates to me that something is being done to the switch that is either causing the failure or overloading it to such an extent that the damage is being done gradually

Splash into a Smarter Summer - Summer Event and Community Giveaway

Automate and Learn More About Tapo Sub-GHz Sensors, Matter, Apple Home, and Local Smart Actions!

20% Select Sub-G Hubs Available to All Participants! | Get Started Here!
Options
2023-11-16 06:30:47

@Riley_S I haven't done that. I have 30 other Kasa switches installed so I assumed the line was ok, but I will check that. 

Thx!

Options
2023-11-16 19:24:37

@FINAO,

Definitely check this. There are cases where fixtures require more power than usual, or you may have less than efficient light bulbs.

While the switches were functioning, did you notice anything different about them? Such as the light not being as bright, a humming noise, or problems dimming at low or high brightness? 

You may want to check to make sure all the connections are secure and that there is no other device running alongside the wires that could be interfering or causing a short. I would start by checking to make sure that the other switches in the box have secure connections.

Lastly, I believe there is an overall limit to the length of wire over which the units can communicate with the light reliably due to the resistance experienced over the longer line.

Are your switches further apart than your others, or is it possible they have a longer run? 

Splash into a Smarter Summer - Summer Event and Community Giveaway

Automate and Learn More About Tapo Sub-GHz Sensors, Matter, Apple Home, and Local Smart Actions!

20% Select Sub-G Hubs Available to All Participants! | Get Started Here!
Options
2023-11-17 18:19:57

@Riley_S I installed the replacement and all is well for now.  If it fails after some number of days, I'll advise.  

Thx!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 187

Replies: 4

Related Articles