Votes

Use energy use monitoring in smart plug to trigger smart action

Votes

2023-12-01 21:42:36

I would like to use the energy / current monitoring of the smart plug to trigger a smart action. This way when a device is posered on / running, it can then be used to trigger another smart plug.

I have a couple of scenarios so far for this:

1. CO2 laser, when it is on, that it automatically starts the cooling water chiller and air compressor.   That way I can't forget to have these items on which are required for use of the laser, but they are all on separate circuits.    The laser is already on a KP115 for energy monitoring.  The air compressor is hooked up to a smart plug via a large relay/ contactor to handle the current and 220v power already. I use this to remotely turn it on (e.g. from the garage when I need air) and to automatically power off the air compressor each evening.

2. Dryer triggering the dryer vent booster. I have a very long clothes dryer vent run and it needs an in-line vent fan to minimize lint buildup and clogging. The vent booster does have a pressure switch to turn on automatically but it is not terribly reliable and often leaves the fan running (for days), unless the booster fan is externally power cycled (I use a smart outlet to let me do this remotely without having to go downstairs and manually unplug the fan).   It would be easier for the fan to be triggered by the Kasa smart plug. I have a gas dryer so a KP115 would work nicely for sensing.

3. My last scenario would be to trigger the dust collector to run when I turn on my stationary woodworking power tools (however that would also require a 220v smart plug with sensing). 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 82

Replies: 0

Voters 0

No one has voted for it yet.