Kasa Smart Remote switch

Kasa Smart Remote switch

Kasa Smart Remote switch
Kasa Smart Remote switch
2023-12-04 14:57:54 - last edited 2023-12-06 01:01:13

Dear Kasa Smart Switch, do any of your light switches have a hard remote switch that works wirelessly?

Lutron Caseta offers something similar with a  light switch + "Pico" wireless remote.  But I prefer staying within the Kasa Smart Switch family. I have over 100+ Kasa devices in my house.

Use Case: I need to add a physical switch at a location without running wires. Example, my foyer chandelier has a 3-way switch (Kasa HS200 paired) but I need to add a physical switch upstairs so it can be controlled from that location without coming down. My wife and I can control it from the app or through Alexa but I do not want visitors having to connect to my Alexa or the smart home. 

Options
7 Reply
Re:Kasa Smart Remote switch
2023-12-06 01:04:48

@Ravi4242,

This is a common request we see and our teams are looking into a Kasa device for this purpose.

Recently, we saw the initial release of the Tapo S200D, which works wirelessly to control any of your Tapo devices.

In the last month, the Tapo app also added the ability to integrate or set up your Kasa devices from within the Tapo app. When the S200D comes back in stock, you could look at adding the Tapo S200D+H100 to your home. 

Otherwise, I would recommend waiting for CES to see if there are any immediate plans to add a Kasa varient.

Options
3 weeks ago - last edited 3 weeks ago

@Riley_S are you telling us that the S200D+H100 will work with our existing Kasa Smart Switches and Plugs? If so, will it work with the Kasa app or do I need to change over to the Tapo app? I want to fully understand before I purchase the components. I am really interested in this possibility before I rip out my Kasa Smart devices and install Lutron Caseta switches with their Pico wireless remotes in order to obtain remote button capability.

Also, I don't understand your comment about waiting for the CES... who or what is CES and how would one know when/if there are immediate plans to add a Kasa variant, as you posted your comment over three months ago.

Options
3 weeks ago

@Rob-Ocala CES is an annual trade show organized by the Consumer Technology Association. Held in January in Las Vegas, the event typically hosts presentations of new products and technologies in the consumer electronics industry. Kasa./Tapo like others annouce new features and releases at this forum. It is one of the largest trade shows in the world.  Do not believe the remote switch was announced at the show this year unless I missed it, perhaps someone from Tapo/Kasa can clarify.

Options
3 weeks ago

@Rob-Ocala also what  @Riley_S was saying is that Kasa devices will work within the new Tapo app. And that they have made it easier to migrate Kasa devices to the Tapo app. I suspect in the near future, they will stop supporting both apps, so getting a headstart would be a good idea. And there is absolutely no need to rip out the Kasa switches at all except where you wanted the remote swtich function.

Options
3 weeks ago

Hey @Ravi4242,

I can actually calm one concern here:

We actually plan to continue developing both apps. Your Kasa devices can work in Tapo but not the reverse because there is a much wider variety of Tapo products and, therefore, features available. This allows the teams to develop the features more quickly while still allowing Kasa Devices to take advantage of the new features and automations available from Tapo devices and hubs.

New Devices from Kasa are continuing to be released into the foreseeable future, and the Tapo Integration is simply meant to provide additional options to our Kasa users. There is actually no real need to move to the Tapo App, unless you are looking to take advantage of some of the features or devices exclusive to the Tapo Platform, such as the Sub-Ghz Sensors or Buttons.

Options
3 weeks ago

Hey  @Rob-Ocala,

And yes, after your Kasa devices are either integrated or moved over to the Tapo App - all of their normal Smart Action  "Actions" and Triggers will be Available in the Tapo Apps Automations. This means that you can use the S200D(and, therefore the required hub) to control your Kasa devices.

I am still looking into how the Hub and Kasa devices communicate. While Tapo devices will try to communicate locally with the hub, I think that your Kasa devices will still communicate as they did before, which may be slightly slower to react than a Tapo Light or Switch.

If you are looking to automate your Tapo and Kasa devices together or have a mixed ecosystem, I would recommend using the Tapo App, as the integration is currently only one way due to the extra devices and features in the Tapo App.

Let me know if you have any other questions, or want to see something specific - while I only have a KS230 in terms of switches, I have most other devices and sensors.

--

Also, as an added note, you may consider looking at Tapo Matter Switches(S505/D), as this would allow you to add the device directly to other smart home platforms - potentially allowing for more complex automations or the use of other branded trigger devices such as buttons or remotes. Tapo Switches would also be able to communicate with the hub locally via Local Smart Actions.

Options
3 weeks ago

@Riley_S Thanks for the reassurance around the continued product support for both apps.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 396

Replies: 7

Related Articles