New HS103P2 plugs won't connect.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-12-09 19:00:13
Model: HS103  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: .6

Got some more HS103 smart plugs to add to the (4) EP10 plugs that I've had for a year or so.
Those EP10s work well, and set up as expected.
These new HS103s will not connect.

I've followed the instructions, watched the video, read here on the forum, etc.  - I seem to be doing everything correctly.

Using a 2.4GHz network.

Restarted the plugs.

Logged out and relogged into my Kasa account.

Getting the proper flashing blue and orange light on the plug.
Connecting to the plug's wifi when it tells me to.
And then...I get the "this might take a few minutes" screen and eventually it says "failed to connect".

I tried the other plug.  I've switched wifi networks.  I put my phone directly next to the plug.
Nothing works.

Ideas for things to try?

One thought occurs to me - the other 4 EP10s are at another property on a different wifi network.  Can I not use these new plugs here on this network?  Do I need a separate Kasa account for plugs on a different network?

Options
2 Reply
Re:New HS103P2 plugs won't connect.
2023-12-10 03:00:04

Additional info:

- Ignore the separate wifi network question - forgot that I have a smart switch on a separate network no problem.
- SUCCESS - my wife connected to the plugs successfully using her iphone.  Maybe the problem the whole time was that I was using an Android Pixel 6a?  Seems like a problem if it doesn't work with androids.

Options
Re:New HS103P2 plugs won't connect.
2023-12-11 19:28:48

@Roark,

Hmmmm, you are not the first to report the setup being difficult for seemingly no reason. The others that I have recently seen with this behavior were actually also using Pixel phones. I know that Google has taken a few liberties with the network settings such as setting a VPN to be used by default. I will have to dig around to see if there are any settings specific to pixels that may affect communication with other devices; much like how Private Addressing can prevent the devices from reconnecting to each other during the setup process.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 428

Replies: 2

Related Articles