Text/SMS Fail over Wi-Fi (Wi-Fi 6)

2024-01-11 01:32:35 - last edited 2024-01-23 15:36:51
Model: Deco X20  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.1.5 Build 20231026 Rel. 62511

When I send an SMS while connected to my Wi-Fi (Deco X20 with most up to date firmware), I will eventually get failed SMS messages, usually consistently for a small window and then it will be fine for a little while.

What I have tried: putting the Deco X20 in AP mode and Router mode, neither of which resolved this issue. I've updated the firmware on all 3 wireless devices. I have done a hard network reset, as well as individual device reset. I have checked the cable running from the primary unit into the switch, which is good. I have checked packets on my OPNSense router.

I have deleted the cache on and data on my phone's texting applications, I have tried various applications, I have looked at and reset my network settings on my phone. Another user in the house has also been running into the same problems since setting up the Deco X20, so this is not an isolated incident.

On my OPNSense router, I have turned off everything that is not default on the router including IPS/IDS. I'm not sure what else I can try as this intermittent issue was non-existent before setting up the wireless APs

Options
8 Reply
Re:Text/SMS Fail over Wi-Fi (Wi-Fi 6)
2024-01-12 03:49:36

@AfroBro87 

Hi, Have you checked whether both smartphones use the same SIM carrier?

And may I know the model numbers of these two mobile phones?

How often do you usually experience this issue? or are you able to reproduce this issue in a short time?

Could you please still try to leave Deco X20 in Access Point mode, then change the DNS server on the OPNsense router to 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4 to see whether it helped?

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options
2024-01-12 04:15:32

@David-TP First and foremost, thank you kindly for getting back to me in such a timely manner.

1. Have you checked whether both smartphones use the same SIM carrier?

Yes, we are actually on the same family plan, it is through Verizon. As previously mentioned, when we are not connected to Wi-Fi, it sends SMS messages fine regardless of the the texting application that is being used, but there different text applications have failed to send messages when connected to Wi-Fi

2. And may I know the model numbers of these two mobile phones?

One of the phones is a Samsung Galaxy S20+ and the other is a Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra

3. How often do you usually experience this issue? or are you able to reproduce this issue in a short time?

It happens every day at varying times. I wake up early, so it'll happen in the early morning, it'll happen in the mid-day and in the evening. I don't believe there is a timed schedule type thing that is taking place to be able to measure. I can't usually reproduce this problem at will as it seems to happen randomly, but only on Wi-Fi. 

4. Could you please still try to leave Deco X20 in Access Point mode, then change the DNS server on the OPNsense router to 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4 to see whether it helped?

So the Deco X20 is currently in Access Point mode. The DNS server on the OPNsense router is set to 1.1.1.1/1.0.0.1, I'm not sure if it makes much of a difference in that capacity, but I change it to Google's DNS Servers if you think it'll help

Thank you

Options
2024-01-17 06:57:31

@AfroBro87 

Hi, Sorry for the delay.

I see a similar feedback today and it is also on Verizon SIM service.

Android phone unable to use mms with sms

I would like to forward your case to the engineer and check whether they have any other suggestions.

By the way, can I have the model number of your original WiFi router before updating it to Deco?

Options
2024-01-17 17:10:32

@David-TP Good Morning David,

Thank you for getting back to me. No worries on the delay, I figure you guys are busy just after the holidays.

The router I had before was a Netgear R7800, I had a 3rd party firmware installed on there, DD-WRT. However, I never had any issues with SMS failing when connected to Wi-Fi through these means. 

Options
2024-01-19 02:54:14 - last edited 2024-01-23 15:36:51

@AfroBro87 

Hi, Thanks. I have forwarded your case to the senior engineers and hope they can find any possible reasons.

By the way, The other user I mentioned earlier here-651064. He is also from the US and use motorla  (moto g stylus 5G 2022) Android version 13 with Verizon SIM service.

He mentioned that

"I kept a ticket open with the carrier and they finally admitted they were having mms issues with some customers.  Went to the local store and they changed out our sim cards, rebooted the phones in the system.  Today SMS is working again.  It wasn't the Deco mesh causing a problem.  The timing of the outage and installing the Deco Mesh was at the same time."

Have you ever checked with Verizon before about the issue?

Options
2024-01-20 06:39:19

@David-TP 

Hey David,

I will go to Verizon tomorrow and see if I can replace the SIM card and see if that fixes the issue. My phone is eSIM compatible, so maybe going that route will benefit me the way the other user was benefited? I guess we will wait and see and I will report back to you. I wish I had a way to guarantee WHEN the SMS will not send, but it happens so randomly it is hard to predict.

Thank you for your patience on this, I greatly appreciate it!

Options
2024-01-23 04:18:29

@David-TP 

SO I called Verizon and asked them to activate eSIM on my phone since I did not have time to go in and replace the physical SIM to a newer one. So far over the course of 3 days, I have not had a single text message drop as a result of being connected to Wi-Fi. 

I am uncertain if the physical SIM or electronic SIM makes a big difference, however, I think it had been like 3 or 4 phone upgrades where I simply moved the SIM card from one phone to another. This stands to reason that the SIM may have just needed to be switched to an option with a newer, better throughput.

If something changes, I'll let you know. Thanks again!

Options
2024-01-23 15:39:45

@David-TP 

David-TP wrote

@AfroBro87 

Hi, Thanks. I have forwarded your case to the senior engineers and hope they can find any possible reasons.

By the way, The other user I mentioned earlier here-651064. He is also from the US and use motorla  (moto g stylus 5G 2022) Android version 13 with Verizon SIM service.

He mentioned that

"I kept a ticket open with the carrier and they finally admitted they were having mms issues with some customers.  Went to the local store and they changed out our sim cards, rebooted the phones in the system.  Today SMS is working again.  It wasn't the Deco mesh causing a problem.  The timing of the outage and installing the Deco Mesh was at the same time."

Have you ever checked with Verizon before about the issue?

So it appears I spoke too soon. I think the reason it was working is because the box on my Samsung that read, "Texting and Calling over Wi-Fi" was unchecked. Since checking that box, I have had two failed text messages. Normally I wouldn't mind, but where I live the signal for the calls isn't particularly strong and is susceptible to dropped calls. I am still waiting to hear back from the engineers

Thank you..

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 245

Replies: 8

Related Articles