Smart switches and dimmers

2024-01-24 23:22:20 - last edited 2024-01-25 01:05:26

I have been working on building my smart home devices amd integrating them with Home Assistant. I have noticed however that the smart dimmers I have don't have a Decoupled mode. This would be an awesome feature to add to these switches. This would allow me to expand the uses and functionality of my smart home items. By having this I could use these switches to control esp controllers for RGBs among other things. Also would love to be able to have them run locally as well as a function if chosen. 

Options
2 Reply
Re:Smart switches and dimmers
2024-01-26 01:50:15

@Randym1988,

Could you provide a bit more information about what you are looking for in terms of being decoupled?

Are you thinking about separating of the physical power controls from the function of the paddles/switch. If so, I can definitely pass the feedback along, however, I could foresee problems with the fact that this would potentially mean you couldn't disable the power to a fixture.

If you have a specific use case or example, I can also pass this along with the feedback - however, Home Assistant is not an officially supported platform, but I can still see a use for this within the Kasa ecosystem.

As for local control, I would highly recommend looking at our Matter-Compatible switches, as these can be configured directly in other platforms such as Home Assistant, SmartThings, Apple Home, and Google Home.

Options
Re:Smart switches and dimmers
2024-01-26 02:42:53

@Riley_S 

That is correct. I have a specific build I am trying to do with a smart dimmer switch that controls a dimmable power supply for some addressable rgbs controlled by an esp8266.  By having the ability to turn on or off this function the switch could still be used in numerous ways. By being able to decouple the ESP board would stay powered and would react according to the state of the switch. That way I could have a normal looking smart dimmer that will work with a custom lighting design. The typical dimmers for this are honestly very ugly or extremely expensive. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 201

Replies: 2

Related Articles