Tapo iOS app: All my Kasa devices show up in Favorites, can't be removed

2024-02-08 00:01:02 - last edited 2024-02-08 00:08:08
Model: KP115  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

The Tapo iOS app (both iPhone and iPad) shows all of my Kasa devices on the Tapo favorites view.

I didn't add them. I don't want them there. I just want to see my Tapo camera.

However, if I go into a device and try to turn off favorite, it either fails silently or turns the favorite switch back on after 5 seconds or so (probably after an API call has failed)

Clearly there is at least one bug here:

• Why can't I remove Kasa devices from Tapo favorites?
  • Why are my Kasa devices showing up in my Tapo favorites?  Doesn't this defeat the purpose of having a "Favorites" view?

Options
2 Reply
Re:Tapo iOS app: All my Kasa devices show up in Favorites, can't be removed
2024-02-08 18:35:21

Hey  @rct0,

Unfortunately, I am not able to replicate your behavior in my app.

From the main card screen in Tapo, you can tap and hold on the device to unfavorite the device. In my case, my devices continue to function with no problem whatsover. 

Is it possible that you had this device configured as a favorite in the Kasa app?

Does this behavior exist on your iPad and iPhone? Are they both using the latest update available from the store?

Were your Kasa devices brought into the Tapo app from the Kasa App, or were they initially setup in Tapo?

Lastly, the devices should be able to communicate locally with your app if on the same network. You may try making these changes in three situations:

1 - Connected to the same exact network as your device

2 - Connecting to your home network, if smart plug is on an IoT network

3 - Connecting to your mobile connection and sending this information through the cloud, rather than your local network. (Verify that the Device is "Available" when connected to your mobile connection.)

Options
Re:Tapo iOS app: All my Kasa devices show up in Favorites, can't be removed
2024-02-08 19:56:50

Hi  @Riley_S 

Answers to your questions:

• Right now my only Tapo device is a camera.  All of the rest of the devices that are showing up in the Tapo app are all Kasa devices that were originally added through the Kasa app.
  • I am using the current/newest versions of the Tapo (and Kasa) app on an iPhone and iPad both with iOS/iPadOS 17.3.  I see the same problems with deleting favorites in both apps.
  • i thought when installing the Tapo app, I said to skip adding my Kasa devices. I don't want to see my Kasa devices in the Tapo app, I just want to get to my camera. 
  • You are correct in that all of my Kasa devices seem to have been automatically added to the Favorite view in the Kasa app.  I wasn't even aware there was a favorite view in the Kasa app, I don't really use the app except to onboard new devices and upgrade firmware.
    • (Note: my other post that you replied to about Kasa single device firmware update has the use case for why I don't want these devices showing up in favorites to avoid accentally turning them off.)
  • I've removed devices from favorites in Kasa.  That seems to have been successful in the Kasa app.
    • However, this didn't effect the Tapo app favorites. I have restarted the Tapo app.  The devices I've removed from favorites in the Kasa app are still favorites in Tapo.
  • The Kasa app can communicate via the local network with the devices I want to remove from favorites in Tapo.
    • However, the Tapo app shows a warning "Local Only" on the device page for each of the Kasa devices. If I click that warning in Tapo, I get the page "Local Only Device" with the button to "Enable Remote Control".
  • The way I've been trying to remove a device from Favorites is tapping the device card and then on the device page, there is a Favorite toggle switch at the bottom. The toggle is set to on. If I tap to turn it off, it stays off for about 10-15 seconds and then turns itself back on.
  • If I use the method of pressing and holding the device card in the Favorite view to get into the "edit home screen mode", The unfavorite choice is grayed out when I select one of the Kasa devices.

Hopefully this helps track down this bug.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 323

Replies: 2

Related Articles