KD110 Lost in the Muck

KD110 Lost in the Muck
KD110 Lost in the Muck
2024-02-22 15:52:47 - last edited 2024-02-22 16:26:21
Tags: #TAPO, Doorbell, KASA, TD110 D130
Model: KD110  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: 2.3.24 build 20231225 rel.54399

Recently had a lengthy discussion with tech about the TD110 Doorbell not functioning properly in the TAPO App which is found and allowed to be installed by searching for KD110. Tech told me that it was not possible and the Kasa Home App needed to be used. Upon setting up a Kasa Home account, it was determined that after creating an account Kasa Home App, with its own unique password, my TAPO App log-ins criterias were also changed to match the KASA Home log-in criteria, thus taking all my camera's offline. That meant the TAPO and KASA App were one of the same. Tech support had no knowledge of this crossover and stood fast that the Apps were different until after numerous emails to tech and finally making a video of the difunctional interactions did higher-up tech management finally agree that they needed to do a better job updating tech support.

After more in-dept communications with upper-tech management, be it known, the problem we were having with TD110 was it does allow the ability for one button, open line, 2-way flowing conversation between the doorbell and the smart phone. This actually makes a remote conversation with a visitor impossible as it works more like a walkie-talkie...button "ON" to talk and button "OFF" to listen. 

Kasa's final tech solution was to buy a TAPO Doorbell D130, which happens to be no longer available for purchase anywhere. From the TP-LINK website, if a purchase is attempted from the D130 page, you are redirected to an Amazon page that promotes RING. This was as of today: 2.22.24: https://www.tp-link.com/us/home-networking/cloud-camera/tapo-d130/

Not real sure what's going on at TP-Link with TAPO and KASA, yet it's easily described as the right-hand does not know what the left hand is doing. And there appears to be no forward movement or announcement to align and make the two products compatible, nor resolve the cross-over issues except to redirect customers to an out-of-date technology that is understanbly no longer available.

We were highly impressed with the TAPO cameras and their quick and easy install. Quality was quite acceptable too. Now, it appears to get a homogeneous product with cameras, a doorbell that functions intelligently all in one APP...we will need return the TAPO/KASA procts purchased and installed, then to go to Ring or Google to get the product we had hope to have found in TP-Link's solution.

Options
3 Reply
Re:KD110 Lost in the Muck
2024-02-22 19:22:36 - last edited 2024-02-22 19:23:06

@Overpromised 

Hopefully, I can clarify a few things.  

1. Tapo and Kasa are separate smart home brands made by TP-Link.  Tapo started off internationally where Kasa was developed here in the US locally.  Both brands are now available globally.  

2. Kasa will focus on its cored product lines (Cameras, Switches, Plugs, and Lighting

3. Tapo will focus on these lines plus new ones (Sensors, Vacuums, Baby monitors, and more to come)

4. Both Kasa and Tapo use what we call a TP-Link ID.  This is your TP-Link account that is used to log into our apps, community, warranty portal, etc.  It's like lord of the Rings "One credential to control them all) j/k.  

5.  Recently with the release of the Tapo 3.0 app customers can integrate their Kasa products into the Tapo app, so you can use one app to control all devices.  This requires you to open the Tapo App, tap on Me > Link Tapo with Kasa, and follow the on-screen instructions. Newer agents may not be as aware of this so I do apologize for you getting misinformed. 

*Note for cameras and doorbells:  Kasa Care does not transfer over so to see cloud recordings in the Tapo for Kasa cameras you would need a Tapo Care account linked to those Kasa Cameras.  This can only be done after you link Kasa into Tapo.

6.  To my knowledge the KD110 featured half-duplex PTT communication, which is how you described.  

7.  The Tapo D130 does support full-duplex 2-way audio, by using the "call" button (see below).  It also has a fantastic 180-degree FOV.  It is not available currently but should be back in stock shortly.  A Battery operated version, the Tapo D230S1, is available though and you can get it here

32a65df57ab74db98fcfcfc77f62b564

I hope this helps let me know if I need to explain further on any point above or if you have additional questions

Splash into a Smarter Summer - Summer Event and Community Giveaway

Automate and Learn More About Tapo Sub-GHz Sensors, Matter, Apple Home, and Local Smart Actions!

20% Select Sub-G Hubs Available to All Participants! Get Started Here!
Options
2024-02-22 22:52:08

@Overpromised

Dear TP-Link Community Team,

I really appreicate your response and explaination of what's going-on with TP-Link, TAPO and Kasa. Someone needs to let everyone in "Middle Earth" know what we now know.

From my viewpoint, as a marketing professional as well as one that has had likely more tech expose than most comnsumers, there's nothing worse than logical things not behaving logically. In saying that, if I were leading TP-Link's home digital experience, the first thing I'd do is consolidate the line of products for every reason imaginable.

Delaying a unified product line will never work and will only cause more confusion internally and to the consumer...IMHO. 

I also appriecate knowing that the D130 is not available after being led to it by support. Frankly, the D130's square "cigeratte" pack design doesn't fit size-wise or architecturally with our home or our design sensitivity. So, we'll never go there. I have read several reviews that repeat that mantra. Sorry, not to mince my words.

Can we live with the "walkie talkie" functioinality of the KD110? We still have 3 weeks to decide before returning it and the cameras too. I wish TP-Link had a clearer and more promising view on this move into comsumer electronics. If so, I'd be more encouraged to grow with TP-Link as they expand instead of just jumping ship.

Thanks again for sharing what's really what.

Regards.

Options
2024-02-23 02:06:54

@Overpromised 

I will ensure my support teams provide the most up-to-date information in the most clear and transparent sense possible, and again, I apologize that they did not make it clear initially.  In my opinion, nothing sours a customer's disposition toward a company or its products like providing inaccurate information.  Even if its corrected there is always that thought "Am I really being told the truth" and that is not the relationship a company wants with a customer.  We obviously still have a few wrinkles to iron out but we will get there I promise that.  

I have been a proud owner of both the KD110 and D130.  The KD110 was an awesome product for me until my transformer for the doorbell died at my Condo. Luckily I was moving soon so I didn't much care, but I have really enjoyed the D130 even if aesthetically it does not look as good as the KD110.   The picture quality in my opinion is a bit better and the FOV is superior too.  Plus I personally prefer the experience in the Tapo app over the Kasa app. 

I do want to make it clear though to anyone reading this that the Kasa integration into Tapo is just to enhance a customer's experience who has products from both lines.  We have no intention on discontinuing Kasa or Tapo.  The plan is for both to continue as separate but similar brands.  I just want to make sure customers are not thinking "oh no! Kasa is going away" or anything like that.  

As for your suggestions or anyone's suggestions, we love to take it in and learn what we are doing right and where we need to improve.  Feel free to go bananas and let us know your thoughts.  Anything from design, functionality or features missing and you would really enjoy, like full duplex audio on a KD110.   I can't promise we will be able to deliver on everything, but we will listen, absorb and most importantly broadcast it to the product team.  

I do hope you decide to keep the products and if there is anything more I can help with to lean you toward that please let me know. 

Splash into a Smarter Summer - Summer Event and Community Giveaway

Automate and Learn More About Tapo Sub-GHz Sensors, Matter, Apple Home, and Local Smart Actions!

20% Select Sub-G Hubs Available to All Participants! Get Started Here!
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 254

Replies: 3

Tags

TAPO, Doorbell, KASA, TD110 D130
Related Articles