DirecTV stream worked with modem/router combo but not Deco Mesh

2024-02-23 16:26:48
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

I have DirecTV stream genie boxes. My internet provider supplied a Technicolor cable modem/router combination and it's worked good with the DirecTV stream well over a year now. The problem is that I had spotty in the rest of my house which is quite large. I bought a Deco P9 system since it works over powerline. I switched the modem into bridge mode and hooked up the deco units. They work absolutely great everywhere in my house. The problem is that now every 2 or 3 days my local channels disappear on the DirecTV Stream Genie box. I go into the settings and it shows that I'm connected to my home network.

Initially I thought this was happening because I don't have a static IP address and unfortunately my cable company doesn't offer that option other than to a business account. What doesn't make sense is why did it work well over a year with their Technicolor modem/router combo but not with a deco? Even with the Technicolor modem the IP had to be renewing the same as it is now.

I have a hunch but this may be totally wrong. This last time it seemed to work for a few more days than usual. I opened the deco app on my phone while I was away and connected to a different wifi network. Just to kinda check on things and snoop around. When I got home from work my local channels were gone again. Any chance this is happening when I open the deco app while away from home? If so I will uninstall the app or never open it again.

I desperately want to use this deco system since it works so much better for everything other than the DirecTV boxes. Any help would be appreciated. It just doesn't make sense that if I hook everything back up it works just fine. What is the difference? 

Options
13 Reply
Re:DirecTV stream worked with modem/router combo but not Deco Mesh
2024-02-24 13:40:44

@Clent724 

I suggest switching the modem out of bridge mode, and setting the Deco in AP mode.

When you write "I go into the settings and it shows that I'm connected to my home network.", are you describing an anomaly, or do you mean everything was as usual?

Options
2024-02-24 13:45:59

@yves_b 

Thanks for your reply. I am referring to the settings menu within the directv tream box. They allow you to change your home location 4 times a year. Even though it's not displaying my local channels because it must be thinking I moved the box to a new location, it still and has always said I'm connected to my home network.

I can do that and switch the decos into AP mode. I didn't do that from the start because I just figured it would be broadcasting an additional unnecessary wifi signal and may confuse devices and cause conslides?

Maybe I should set the modem back to gateway mode as you said but then don't broadcast the ssid from the modem/router and just broadcast the deco's ssid's?

Options
2024-02-24 14:04:12

@Clent724 I expected that the wifi of the modem would remain disabled, independently of its mode of operation.

Options
2024-02-24 14:32:09

@yves_b 

I'm no expert by any means so I'd like to clarify.

You're suggesting I turn the modem/router back into gateway mode. Then I turn off wifi broadcasting? So essentially the modem/router combo will still be the dhcp server and handout ip addresses even though wifi  broadcasting is disabled? Then the decos will operate as mesh and should resolve the issue?

Like I said, I'm not expert but have a general understanding of kinda how it works.

Options
2024-02-24 16:30:42

@Clent724 I suggest turning back the modem into gateway mode, and disabling the wifi of the modem (assuming it is possible, as it is on many modems).  Broadcasting or not the name of the wifi SSID of the modem does not make a significant difference.

With the Deco in AP mode, the modem will indeed distribute the IP addresses, and the Deco will continue acting as a mesh.
I do not known if this will fix the issue.  This is an attempt to go back to the initial configuration, where everything was working well.

Once the Deco works in AP mode, you can as well connect the Genie box to the modem again, if it is connected by cable.

Options
2024-02-24 16:36:50

@yves_b 

I will give that a try when I get home. I prefer not to have the gateway broadcast a wifi signal just because of unnecessary interference. I will attempt this and let you know how it goes. Thanks for the help!

Options
2024-02-24 19:03:05

@yves_b 

I have one more question before I proceed to do as you said. Do you think this could possibly be happening because my modem in bridge mode has an ip of 192.168.100.1 and the deco was assigned automatically 192.168.68.1?

Is it worth trying to change the ip of the deco to 192.168.100.2 so it's in the same subnet?

Like I said, I'm no expert but this is just a thought.

Options
2024-02-25 05:28:59

@Clent724 

I would certainly not assign to the modem an IP address in the local subnet of the Deco.

With the Deco in router mode, the Deco has two IP addresses, one on the "internet" side, one on the "local" side.

The "internet" IP address of the Deco is visible in the app, in More/Internet Connection.

Those two IP addresses are totally independent.

With the Deco in router mode, on the "internet" side, the Deco will only communicate with Internet, it should not communicate with the modem. 

The only way to communicate to the modem is by connecting a device to it, via cable or wifi.

It is certainly safer to avoid having on the Internet side a device with an address expected to be used on the "local" side.  We do not want to "surprise" the Deco.

With the Deco in AP mode, the Deco and all other devices will be part of the local subnet of the modem.

Options
2024-02-25 05:46:36

@yves_b 

Okay. At this point I haven't changed anything yet. I reset the network from the deco app and then all the local channels on the DTV boxes started working. I then assigned the TV boxes designated IP's. I understand that's only within the network but I figured I'd give it a try. I'm going to not open the app again unless it messes up and then I'll switch everything into AP mode like you suggested. Most likely I'll be back here reporting that is what I ended up doing. 🤞 

Options
2024-02-26 14:32:08 - last edited 2024-02-26 14:36:02

@yves_b 

So, it happened again. I finally had time to do the setup you suggested.

I am now using my cable company supplied modem/router combo (Technicolor CGA4234) with both 2.4 and 5ghz wifi radios disabled and then out of there the ethernet goes directly to the Main Deco P9 and I switched them to Access Point mode in the mobile app. So my modem/router is assigning IP addresses as it was when I originally got the DirecTV service but I'm technically connecting to that modem/router through the deco devices.

When I turned on my DirecTV stream box the local channels did not work at first. I went into settings of the stream device and set the home network to my current location. After that I restarted the box and my local channels were there again.

We'll see if this is a permanent solution but as of now it is working great. I'll know in a few days and will report back. Thanks

Options