Kasa KS240 ceiling fan control and dimmer switch Red light

2024-03-16 19:16:44
Model: Kasa KS240  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.5

@Riley_S yesterday I came home from work and found my KS240 had red light, did a factory reset and reconfigured the switch. I have other Kasa switches none had this issue so can't be internet connectiviy issue as other Kasa switches would have the same issue. Just wanted to mention since KS240 is a new device maybe firmware needs to be checked and updated or someother issue.

52d124e7d033436691e49aab1882d73e

Options
8 Reply
Re:Kasa KS240 ceiling fan control and dimmer switch Red light
2024-03-20 16:52:46

Hey @Aravot,

Thanks for letting us know. I have not seen any similar reports of this behavior, but am talking with our testing team for any cases. Please let us know if you see the behavior again, then we can properly troubleshoot or potentially have our engineering team take a look at logs for more clues as to the cause.

The solid red lights on the KS240 indicate that the device was disconnected from the cloud, not that there was an error. Since it was only a cloud disconnection, there is a high chance that it was a network communication problem; it may have even been outside of your control such as being blocked at your ISP.

As is the case with most smart home devices, a simple reboot would likely restore normal functionality. On the KS240, the restart is found on the switch itself: 

533a416adcc946938198e941346f8505

Also, while you may have a variety of Kasa devices, we use a variety of Wi-Fi chips in our devices - which could have their own distinct quirks/compatibility with your router. Depending on your Wi-Fi router, you may try configuring settings such as creating an IP reservation or disabling settings such as Fast Roaming or Beamforming - as these are always the main culprits when dealing with IoT devices.

Options
2024-03-22 12:38:40

I also just recently started getting this issue.  One of my controls had this issue yesterday.  After resetting it, it worked okay for a few hours, but then had the issue again.  Today, I now have a second control that is encountering the same issue.

Options
2024-03-22 17:00:27

Hey @sugarkrill @Aravot,

I have spoken with our QA team and we are looking for a bit more information about the behavior of the device when this occurs. If possible, you can message me the MAC address of your KS240 and our team can work to push a debug Firmware to the device so that our engineers can better diagnose and determine what is going wrong.

• When the lights turn red, does only one light turn red, or do both lights turn red?

@Aravot - By Control, do you mean separate KS240s or that the Fan and Light Indicators did not turn red at the time? If only one LED was red at a time, did the other controls work?

• When the behavior is seen, do the physical controls on the switch still operate as normal?
  • Instead of Resetting the switch, does rebooting the switch return the switch to normal function?
  • Lastly, are you able to control the switch in this state through the Tapo app, while you are connected to the same Wi-fi that the switch is connected to?

Options
2024-03-23 14:52:27

Hi @Riley_S,

Since the initial post I have not experienced the issue. Both fan and light LED were red at teh same time.

• When the behavior is seen, do the physical controls on the switch still operate as normal?
    • Yes, when LED lights were red I could still operate the switch from the physical buttons.
  • Instead of Resetting the switch, does rebooting the switch return the switch to normal function?
    • Not sure what you mean by rebooting the switch instead of resetting.
  • Lastly, are you able to control the switch in this state through the Tapo app, while you are connected to the same Wi-fi that the switch is connected to?
    • I am using Kasa app not Tapo, when the LED lights were red I was not able to control the switch from the Kasa app.

Options
2024-03-26 19:08:43

Hey @Aravot @sugarkrill,

Thanks for the added information. Your cases have drawn the attention of our teams and we have created a quick survey to gather additional information about the behaviors seen on the LED Indicator Lights. If you have seen your LEDs behaving abnormally or turning red periodically, please provide your case in the following form:

KS240 LED Indicator Feedback

You will be asked to provide your TP-Link ID and the MAC address of the device – allowing our developing teams to check the logs of the device and they may potentially reach out to provide a debug firmware to help diagnose the cause.

If you are seeing any other abnormal behaviors, don’t hesitate to reach out to our teams.

Options
3 weeks ago

I have the same problem. Solid red lights. All the other Kasa devices are connected to the internet.

Options
3 weeks ago
Options
a week ago

I am having the same issue....  just started today; was working fine for past month when I installed it.  All other switches are fine.  Internet is fine.  I performed the reset on the switch and both lights blinked red then white for at least 5 minutes - now back to solid red.  Cannot control from Kasa App (says offline) but can control from switch itself.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 276

Replies: 8

Related Articles