C120 VLC Stream

C120 VLC Stream

C120 VLC Stream
C120 VLC Stream
a week ago
Model: Tapo C125  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.12

Actually a TAPO C120 but wasn't available in the pull-down.

Have it setup and working fine. Put the APP on a burner phone connected to the same WiFi and all is fine. I'm trying to figure out how to get to it from outside of the house via a VLC or browser.

First, setup VLC and connected desktop to the same WiFi and was able to open rtsp://172.20.15.202/stream1 and it prompted for the camera UserID/Password. All worked fine.

Next step, setup port 554 to forward from the outside IP (WAN IP of my Motorola MG-8702 router). 

VLC Media Player error is "Your input can't be opened
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'rtsp://username:password@outsidewanip:554/stream1'. Check the log for details.

Any hints as to what I'm missing?

Options
1 Reply
Re:C120 VLC Stream
Wednesday

Hey @ShosMeister,

Have you been able to take a look at this FAQ yet? 

How to View Your Tapo Camera via RTSP

It has a good overview of all the steps you need to take. Otherwise, take a look at this post on our this post on our global forum, which covers some of the limitations you may have, such as if you have an ISP gateway in front of your network and you need a true IP address.

A few tips:

• Consider Testing with the ONVIF Stream Connection and Port 2020
  • Try testing with the Second Stream and then moving to the first after confirming the settings.
  • The RTSP Streams are affected by your Tapo Care or SD Card Recordings - try removing the SD Card if you have one.
  • We normally only recommend using RTSP and ONVIF Streams at a local network level, for management outside of your network, you may consider an NVR solution to help manage the streams. This is especially true since using RTSP outside of your network in this way will only work if you have one camera.
  • Lastly, check your firewall settings, its very possible that the connection is being blocked due to it being a direct path into your network.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 50

Replies: 1

Related Articles