Kasa 3-Way Dimmer - KS230 v2 not working

2024-05-06 14:07:13
Model: KS230 KIT  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: UKN

Purchased and installed a Kasa K230 v2 3-Way Dimmer kit recently. Everything went well during the install and they worked perfect for about 2x weeks. Now the lights that they control DO NOT turn on. Everything on the switches appear fine, ring is lit, then goes off when "turned on", the dimmer control lights work on the master switch, and everything is working in the Kasa/Tapo App as well as Alexa, however the lights DO NOT turn on. 

I have read that these switches can be funky, but nothing matches my example perfectly. What should I be trying here? I've always had really good luck with Kasa, but this I don't understand. 

TIA,

Todd

Options
2 Reply
Re:Kasa 3-Way Dimmer - KS230 v2 not working
2024-05-06 16:16:39 - last edited 2024-05-06 16:16:49

Hey @Tizodm80,

It is definitely odd that the devices were working fine for such a long time, especially since your reported behavior is normally a result of misconfigured wiring.

To clarify, does the dimmer behave as expected in any circumstance? Physically interacting with the dimmer and when using third-party applications?

I would start with rebooting the switch with the reboot button on the main switch. Otherwise, I would recommend trying to factory reset the switch to see if the problem continues - at which point it would be time to verify the wiring and your device's compatibility.

A few basic things to check, just in case:

- Make sure that your lights are set to a high percentage in case they are on but not being provided enough power.

- Double-check the compatibility of your lights with the smart dimmer.

- Check to see if the lights are burned out

Splash into a Smarter Summer - Summer Event and Community Giveaway

Automate and Learn More About Tapo Sub-GHz Sensors, Matter, Apple Home, and Local Smart Actions!

20% Select Sub-G Hubs Available to All Participants! | Get Started Here!
Options
Re:Kasa 3-Way Dimmer - KS230 v2 not working
2024-05-20 17:14:26

@Riley_S 

Sorry for the late reply here. I have done all suggested actions. The started with a restart and that didn't work, however the switches and the app (Kasa / Tapo / Alexa) all worked, but the lights did not turn on. FYI this is for recessed ceiling lights, 6x, and they are not burned out. I then did a full reset and attempted to pair. The switches will not pair with either Kasa or Tapo anymore, nor do they turn the lights on still. I'm thinking they are defective. The fact that they worked flawlessly for weeks leads me to believe this. It's not my lights, it's not my wiring. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 255

Replies: 2

Related Articles