New HS220 dimmer - no wifi. Can't configure the switch

2024-05-22 15:48:26 - last edited 2024-05-22 16:00:15
Model: HS220  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: don't know

Hi all.

Got about 10 kasa wifi switches and dimmers already in the house. Trying to set up a new HS220 in-wall dimmer.

Wired dimmer correctly. Black is Line, Red is load to the lights, White to neutral, Green to ground.

The switch works manually and dims the lights. Unable to configure the switch because there's no kasa wifi to connect to.

LED is flashing orange/green, indicating that it's in the setup state and I should be abe to connect wifi my phone so I can add it in the app. But im not able to see its kasa wifi to connect my phone to. 

Tried turning my phone wifi on/off. Tried my laptop to see if it sees a kasa network is visible (it is not). 

Tried holding the Reset button on the dimmer. 

Am I missing something, or is this a defctive unit and I just need to get amazon to replace the dimmer?

Options
3 Reply
Re:New HS220 dimmer - no wifi. Can't configure the switch
2024-05-23 14:08:45 - last edited 2024-05-23 14:08:57

Ok... i guess I'll return it and get amazon to send another

Options
2024-06-04 01:18:14 - last edited 2024-06-04 01:29:26

Well, I got another switch and I've got the same problem.

I don't think I got TWO bad switches, so this must be something simple. What am I doing wrong???

I have Line, Load, Neutral and Ground connected properly.

I turn on the breaker and when I have flashing orange/green circle I should see the device's kasa... wifi network, right? 

I've got it wired up. The light is flashing orange/green, but I look on my phone and also on my laptop and an android tablet. None of them can see a wifi network like kasa... I do see a Hidden network on my computer. 

I can press the switch and turn on/dim the lights. Switch appears to be working fine, but there's just no wifi for me to connect my phone to, so I can't configure the switch on the kasa app.

What am I doing wrong???

Options
2024-06-04 02:30:34

Ok. I figured it out. 

If your HS220 device is WHITE, then you use the option to add the device as "Smart Dimmer (WiFi)".

But if your HS220 device is ALMOND (like mine) or black, then you are to use the device setup option "Smart Dimmer (BLE)".

For some reason they chose to make the setup via bluetooth for some colors...

And in this case you do NOT have the Kasa_Smart_whatever SID because it uses BLUETOOTH for configuration.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 134

Replies: 3

Related Articles