Is Deco right for me?

Is Deco right for me?

Is Deco right for me?
Is Deco right for me?
a week ago

Hello, I am looking to improve my home network management and address some issues, I am wondering if Deco is the right solution.

Background: The diagram below is my curent configuration versus my proposed solution.

3 story house, 2400 sq. ft.

Verizon FiOS 1GB service plan

20+ devices in my house (PC, Gaming, Tablets, IoT, etc.)

Mix of wired and wireless (solid lines are wired connections)

Fios G3100 acts as modem/router, and Linksys MR3800 is in bridge mode, but i use the Linksys router for wifi (this was done to ensure a "network" between Home PC and the 2 PC communicating over wifi).

Most of the devices communicate via wifi, but since my wireless router is in bridge mode I am very limited on my configuration options. Recently I have had service and realibility degredation. I do not have QoS settings, ability to change wireless channels, etc. as a result of bridge mode.

Goals:

1.) ability to create seperate networks (VLAN) for devices or adjust wifi channel settings (i.e. all IoT devices communicate over channel X)

2.) device prioritizaiton when multiple devices are in use

3.) security features such as port management, device specific parental controls, etc.

4.) have pc devices be on the same network despite 2 wireless pc connecting to Deco AP and the home PC connecting to the Deco router

Any feedback on if this is the correct solution / products to ensure optimal speed for all devices and meet my goals above

Thank you.

home network

Options
1 Reply
Re:Is Deco right for me?
a week ago

Hey @smokey132,

You shouldnt have a problem, but there are a few things to consider that may affect your decision.

- Decos, along with most Mesh Networks will not allow you to change the wireless channels of the network, but they do often provide an additional IoT network for your devices.

- In AP Mode, the Decos would simply be put in place of the Linksys router - but you suffer from the same loss of features due to the loss of router functionality.

- In Router Mode, you need to change the settings of your Fios gateway, and all your devices need to fall under the umbrella of the main deco(which you have in your proposed setup), but this will allow you to use HomeShields parental controls and QoS Rules.

Some of the configurations you may be expecting from your router may not be available due to Decos using a mesh technology, and you may be best situated to use a Router + AP, especially if you are only looking at 2 nodes. (For Decos, I might recommend that you consider using three nodes for better coverage and better backhaul performance). What you are looking to do can be accomplished by a mesh network, but I think that you may be expecting some of the interfaces and controls that come with something like an Archer Router with a EasyMesh Satellite AP/RE

Lastly, a side note: Your Sonos Network. Sonos networks are known to sometimes act bizarrely when configuring them to a mesh network. There are plenty of solutions if this occurs to your network. However, it is something to consider that there may be additional configurations needed to use your Sonos with a Mesh Network

Splash into a Smarter Summer - Summer Event and Community Giveaway

Automate and Learn More About Tapo Sub-GHz Sensors, Matter, Apple Home, and Local Smart Actions!

20% Select Sub-G Hubs Available to All Participants! | Get Started Here!
Options