Tapo C120 ONVIF alerts for Person and Vehicle detection don't Work

2024-07-19 23:07:18
Model: Tapo C125  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.15

Note: I had to post this under model C125 since C120 was not listed as an option.

I have a new Tapo C120 camera and flashed the firmware to the latest version 1.1.15 Build 240516 Rel.68711n.  

My use case is local mode only, with ONVIF and an NVR (iSpy's AgentDVR).  Everything went well with the ONVIF setup on AgentDVR: streaming, recording, etc. all work as expected.

The issue is that I don't receive Person, Vehicle, or Pet Detection alerts when they are turned on in the Tapo App UNLESS I also turn on Motion Detection in the Tapo App.  Of course, then I get spammed with alerts for all manner of motion, defeating the entire purpose of person/vehicle detection.

So basically, I only receive ONVIF alerts when I turn turn Motion Detection On (via the Tapo App).  I also know for certain that this is NOT a problem with my NVR software, since I confirmed via WireShark that ONVIF alerts only are sent when Motion Detection is turned on via the Tapo App.

When I have turned ON Motion Detection and Person Detection in the Tapo App:

1) My ONVIF GetProfilesResponse message shows: 

<tt:AnalyticsEngineConfiguration>
    <tt:AnalyticsModule Name="MyCellMotionModule" Type="tt:CellMotionEngine">
        <tt:Parameters>
            <tt:SimpleItem Value="medium" Name="Sensitivity"> </tt:SimpleItem>
            <tt:SimpleItem Value="on" Name="Enabled"> </tt:SimpleItem>

2) When motion or a person is detected, I receive ONVIF PullMessagesReponse messages like this:

<wsnt:Message>
                        <tt:Message
                            PropertyOperation="Changed"
                            UtcTime="2024-05-16T12:29:51Z">
                            <tt:Source>
                                <tt:SimpleItem
                                    Value="vsconf"
                                    Name="VideoSourceConfigurationToken">
                                    </tt:SimpleItem>
                                    Value="VideoAnalyticsToken"
                                    Name="VideoAnalyticsConfigurationToken">
                                    Value="MyMotionDetectorRule"
                                    Name="Rule">
                                </tt:Source>
                            <tt:Data>
                                    Value="true"
                                    Name="IsMotion">
                                </tt:Data>
                            </tt:Message>
                        </wsnt:Message>

HOWEVER, when I still have Person Detection (and vehicle, and Pet) turned on, but Motion Detection turned OFF:

1) My ONVIF GetProfilesResponse message implies all motion detection is turned off: 

<tt:AnalyticsEngineConfiguration>
    <tt:AnalyticsModule Name="MyCellMotionModule" Type="tt:CellMotionEngine">
        <tt:Parameters>
            <tt:SimpleItem Value="medium" Name="Sensitivity"> </tt:SimpleItem>
            <tt:SimpleItem Value="off" Name="Enabled"> </tt:SimpleItem>

2) When a person (or any activity) is detected, I receive NO ONVIF PullMessagesReponse NotificationMessages at all.

In conclusion, I have a very high confidence level that this is a firmware bug that disables ONVIF alerts unless the overly chatty generic "Motion Detection" is turned on via the Tapo App.

Based on my initial tests, I really like this camera and want to use it and buy many more, so I hope that a quick firmware update can easily solve this issue soon.

Many thanks!

Options
1 Reply
Re:Tapo C120 ONVIF alerts for Person and Vehicle detection don't Work
2024-07-26 07:51:56

@Secured Hi, I hope you are well. I have purchased x2 of these cameras and mine exhibit the same behavior. Also I have noticed they miss alot of events cars drive past etc and people walking and it misses/ignores about 1 or 2 events out of 10-15 (maybe more to be honest, ignores more cars than people). It did not do this on tapo care, this only started when tapo care trial expired and I inserted a microSD and configured ONVIF. I want the c120 to operate standalone and do all its local recording to microSD and also connect via ONVIF. Ok I can accept it failing to sometimes send ONVIF messages when motion occurs but I cant accept it missing so many events locally. I literally watch cars drive past and the c120 does nothing like its blind.

Tapo engineers can you please explain this behavior and what we can expect from the c120 please? What configuration needs to be on the c120 for ONVIF to work correctly as specified in profile S. feels like a functions kind of work piece of garbage at the minute. Can you please tell me what configuration needs to be on the c120 with local recording to microSD and an ONVIF connection? 

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 208

Replies: 1

Related Articles