TPlink smart plugs Group Voice Commands not working in Alexa

2024-08-12 18:02:50
Model: HS103  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: Says Up to Date in App

I have several models of TP-Link Smart Plugs. Currently using EP10 and HS103. Previously I've set these up in a group of two Smart Plugs to turn TV on and a Remote Surround Sound speaker with connected Surround Sound Speakers, then use Alexa Commands to turn the TV and Remote Surround Sound speakers on or off. We just moved to a new home, and everything works except the Alexa commands to the group. The Alexa app and the Kasa app show up-to-date, but no version numbers that I can find.

The individual devices and groups are visible in the KASA app, and they switch correctly when using it. The problem is with the VOICE commands which do not switch the groups on or off. I have a 2nd TV in a bedroom, and it is designated as TV 2 which works with Alexa as a device and with Voice via Alexa. On our main TV in the Living Room, I've used group names of TV and Television, and the groups contain the two TP-Link devices named TV LG OLED and Surround Sound. The Alexa app does NOT show these Living Room devices while it shows the Bedroom TV 2 device. The apps are linked since the TV 2 works with voice or when switched using the KASA app. I've deleted the two Living Room devices and re-entered them, but the same problem exists. They are both shown as Living Room on the KASA app.

Suggestions? I must be doing something wrong but have not found the problem.

Options
3 Reply
Re:TPlink smart plugs Group Voice Commands not working in Alexa
2024-08-12 22:50:17

Hey @MustBGremlins,

First, are you able to control the devices while you are not connected to your Wi-Fi? Such as when using your cellular connection?

If you can, I would try disconnecting and reconnecting your Tapo and Kasa accounts from the Alexa App. This will force the devices to be seen when reconnecting.

If you cannot control them, try replugging or resetting the plugs network settings to help them rebuild their connection to the cloud.

Lastly, If you used the same device names from when they were first set up, you might try changing their device names to see if this will force the connection to refresh.

Options
2024-08-13 01:11:31

@Riley_S 

We have poor T-Mobile reception in our location, and I just purchased a Wilson We:boost Home MultiRoom to hopefully improve it. It arrived today. We are in a small town of about 24,000 residents, but all we can receive is LTE. (Thus, the booster). We are using a T-Mobile 5G Home Internet with primarily 2 bars, infrequently 3 bars, and sometimes 1 bar or no reception. It is now showing 2 bars. We seemed to have enjoyed better reception prior to 2024, and the TP-Links then worked fine on both TVs. I just tried turning off Wi-Fi on my phone and the Smart Outlets will NOT work. With Wi-Fi, they do work except for the problems I have with Groups.

I’ll try the disconnect/reconnect recommendation on the accounts as well as resetting the 5G Home WiFi unit.

I’m using new names already for the devices, but will try others after the completing the reset and reconnect. WiFi and phone reception here is often better in mornings, so I’ll try tomorrow morning and update the post.

Oh, we have 2 transmission towers located between 1 and 3 miles from us. I talked with a T-Mobile representative about 6 months ago who had just moved from their Telecom division and still had his software. He said we have 5 towers serving our home, but all of them are at the apex of their signals. He felt the booster might help, but it varies at each location. He said we will have excellent service when their Telecom unit installs a closer tower or increases bandwidth on any of the towers. To see 5G on my Pixel 7 Pro phone, I have to drive due west for 4 miles or due north for 6 miles. Otherwise reception is spotty or none. Our phones currently work best when we stand on our porch.

Options
2024-08-13 17:54:07

@MustBGremlins Tried again this morning. Reset T-Mobile 5G home router, deleted and reloaded Kasa App and Alexa App, and checked connected devices on Kasa App. One needed for the group was not working. I have 15 additional TP-Link smart plugs and some were previously named at our recently sold home. Plugged a few in and found two that connected to Kasa. Renamed one to a new name, and it functioned properly. Checked the Alexa App and it didn't show up. Tried adding a new smart plug to Kasa and programmed it. It loaded onto the Kasa App and worked. Went back to Alexa, and it did not show up. Deleted the Alexa App and reloaded it. No luck since they the renamed Device and the new Device are not picked up on Alexa.

I do have Google Display and several of their basic pucks. Could try them. I looked at the Google Home app, and the devices show up, but, I apparently have not set up a group with Google Home. This might work better. Thoughts? Haven't used a Group before in Google, so this may be a new adventure.

Options