No app or web service for Microsoft Windows 10 devices

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

No app or web service for Microsoft Windows 10 devices

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
21 Reply
Re:No app or web service for Microsoft Windows 10 devices
2020-07-03 17:16:35

I totally agree with this. Recently I bought a house and It has 3 floors. On each floor, there is a tabled based on Windows Operating System that can control more things in the house. The most impressive for me was that I can turn on the lights everywhere and set different colours to the led that is mounted inside the wall, looks very beautiful. So I beg someone to make it work on Windows if it is possible, because I was using it in my previous house.

Options
2020-08-08 22:37:38

@KiwiDirk 

I'm in the same position.  I was considering tp-link cameras, but not being able to access the feed easily from my computer is not worth the inconvenience.  So, I'm looking to other brands instead.

Options
2020-08-13 05:26:35 - last edited 2020-08-14 03:14:08

While I think this is a good enhancement idea, I do note that while Google offers a web interface to their Nest devices, as far as I know, they do not have a web interface to Google Home/Assistant that can access Kasa devices or even Googlw Home Routines.  You must use your phone or a Google speaker to access Google Home Routines, as far as I can tell.

You might try "Home Remote", a free Android app that is also available from the Microsoft Store (& runs on Win 10).  It can access all Kasa devices directly, but it has some limitations.

Note that the Microsoft Store also offers a "Controller for Google Home" ($5), but according to the reviews, it's a scam.

Options
2020-09-07 17:24:18

@Carl 

Pallleeeez!

Not having a browser interface for TP-Link home devices makes absolutely no sense. For a company as large (and generally well-respected) as TP-Link to offer some weak excuse that "It isn't as easy as it sounds." stretches credibility.

With all of the competition in this space for the smart home it will make sense for you to dedicate some of those very clever software developers to fix this obvious deficiency.

C'mon, don't make us go and switch our TP-Link devices for a brand that supports its customers!

Scott

Options
2020-09-07 23:29:41

@TazmanianDevil 

As I noted above, "...  while Google offers a web interface to their Nest devices, as far as I know, they do not have a web interface to Google Home/Assistant that can access Kasa devices or even Google Home Routines.  You must use your phone or a Google speaker to access Google Home Routines, as far as I can tell."

I believe the same is true for Amazon;  both are much larger than TP-Link with much larger development staffs.  I'm a retired developer, & know that many companies (even big ones) have very few competent developers these days;  those that they have, are stretched pretty thin.  Personally, I'd rather Kasa devote its scarce development resources in improving firmware features.

I would like to see a web app for Kasa, but again as I noted above, there is a Win 10 app alternative.  However, insulting Kasa doesn't seem to me to be a good strategy.

Options
2020-09-07 23:42:10
I'm sure TP-Link employees are appreciative of potential buyers who are courteous enough to notify them of the feature gaps that drove them to the competition. Such data is precious. I don't see any insults, I see exasperation. The disrespectful customers just silently went elsewhere. ...I will note that T-Link isn't alone. A lack of integration other than Alexa (my wife won't have voice-enabled automation in the house) means I currently have nine different apps on my iphone to control my home automation. And (thank you, Apple), I can't rename the apps. So I have to remember that Kasa is my driveway cam, GreenDot is my deck lighting (and internet connectivity confirmation), Nest is my thermostat, LegacyView is my water filter, Daikin is my minisplit, Govee Home is my water/temperature sensor, and myQ is my garage door. What's not to love?
Options
2020-09-08 15:36:53

@MichaelMerritt 

With my Google Home app, I can control:

• My 30+ Kasa devices, including dimming.
  • My dozen+ Google devices (speakers, Chromecasts, video doorbell)
  • My Ecobee thermostat.

Of course, if I need to update firmware or change detailed settings, I have to go to the manufacturer's app, but that's to be expected (& desired for security reasons).

And as I noted, there is a perfectly good (& free) 3rd party Win 10 app, which also can control one's TVs & sound system (although my devices in this category are too old to be supported by the manufacturer).

Options
2020-09-08 16:21:52

We have added this request to this month's request form to the development teams.  While we did this previously, we are doing so again to show continued interest in this request.  I would say that in all honesty that I don't see it in at least the near future as this was never a focus of the Kasa team.  If we do have any updates that come out of this, we will post an announcement in our official announcements section so just check back there regularly. 

Options
2020-09-08 16:56:01

@DeanGibson 

Carl,

Thanks a million for posting this request again!  It's still unclear why the team would not support a feature that customers want...enough to go to the competition.

Please see also my note below...the camera links with Google Home but won't display. (Not much point?)

Dean,

Thanks for your suggestions.  I appreciate being able to load an Android emulator that allows me to view the TP-Link 1080p stream on my big horizontal monitor in a tiny vertical emulation of a phone screen.  Starting the emulator and then running the Kasa app inside it is better than nothing...but it is not the same as viewing the video stream in a browser, which is what I think this thread is advocating, and quite reasonably so.

Your integration claim for Google Home lead me to give it a try.  After connecting to my TP-Link Kasa camera, I get "This video stream can't be viewed here.  If you have a smart display or Chromecast, you can ask the Assistant to stream it there."  Um...why would I want to connect to a camera other than to view the video stream? Google Home isn't much help here. I was able to load the GreenDot switches and the Nest thermostat, so I guess that combines two apps into one.  Google Home thinks the Govee sensors are linked...but it doesn't show them, so that's not much use.  Similarly, I can connect to Simplisafe, but that only allows me to arm the system, not view the camera or disarm or review sensors.  No support for my water treatment system, mini split or garage door opener.  So Google Home reduces my on-phone apps from 9 to 8.  A start, but not a victory.

Michael

Options
2020-09-08 16:57:36

@Jim Lewis 

I agree fully.  I just spent an inordinate amount of time looking for the Windows 10 application for Kasa compatible devices.  After giving up, I said Aha !   The community must have the link for such a common item.

To think that there is no way to access the devices from a Windows 10 compatible system is unconscienable on the part of TP-Link.

I just appears that they are trying to tie you in to their ecosystem, and only through Ios and Android.

Options