Local only -- network unstable

2024-03-13 04:41:36
Model: Tapo L535E  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

My new L535 bulb is stuck on Local only with an unstable network error. I have a about a dozen Kasa plugs and switches installed and they are and have been working without a problem for months or years. I have tried repeatedly to remove and reinstall using the Tapo app on both ios and android devices. I have set the DNS on my Deco 3600 ver 3.7.11to 8.8.8.8. I have restarted the Deco. The firmware is up to date. The up address is within range. I have tried disconnecting the secondary Deco unit. I have tried turning off intrusion protection, etc. Internet is high speef and works flawlessly.This is the only device that fails. Is there something else to try, or should I return it?

Options
3 Reply
Re:Local only -- network unstable
2024-03-13 16:54:28

Hey @O-Vale,

So the Local-Only Networking behavior occurs when your device isn't able to bind with your TP-Link ID when they are first set up (normally due to cloud connectivity issues, hence the DNS and firewall troubleshooting)

The easiest way to try and redo this to avoid the local-only connection is to reset the bulb to complete FACTORY defaults and going through the setup process again. As you complete the setup and connect to the internet the bulb should bind to your account

You may also consider adding the bulb to your Deco's IoT Network or Guest Network. The IoT Network has compatibility settings that you can change to troubleshoot, without affecting the connection you have to other devices. Tapo bulbs do support the latest types, but you may try the different options to see if one will allow the binding to occur.

Lastly, when you see the behavior, I would disconnect your phone from your home Wi-Fi and see if you are able to see or control the smart plug while connected to your cellular connection.

Options
2024-03-14 04:42:03

@Riley_S  Factory reset doesn't Fix problem. I have tried that and retriethat many times. Same on guest network with security turned on and off. IOT Network not available on this up to date Deco w3600. Taking phone off Wi-Fi makes no difference. Bottom line is that I continue to get the local only unstable network connection error. For what it's worth, when this arrived from Amazon, the "void if seal is broken" label was broken. Could it have been previously returned? In any event unless there is a simple fix for this, I am returning the bulb. 

Options
2024-03-15 00:42:21

Hey @O-Vale,

If that is the case, I would highly recommend getting in direct contact with our support team, who can check if the device was bound to a previous ID and should be rebound to your account instead. Normally, the devices will unbind with a factory reset. However, there have been a few older models and cases that required the device to be manually unbound before they could be added to your cloud account. I would just be prepared with your account information and the MAC address of the device

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 453

Replies: 3

Related Articles