HS200 switch started clicking off and on after 2 years of service.

2024-06-17 10:41:23
Model: Kasa HS200  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I've had this switch installed nearly two years, controlling my ceiling fans.  This morning it just starts clicking off/on and the lights on its face are blinking.  I tapped it and it's stopped clicking off and on (lights on the switch are still blinking and it's "offline" in the app). The reset button doesnt do anything.

Do I rewire it or replace it?

Options
4 Reply
Re:HS200 switch started clicking off and on after 2 years of service.
2024-07-14 14:49:25

@Waltman any luck? Just happened to me this morning-have had switch since 2022

Options
3 weeks ago

@Madalenc 

Mine started doing this after about a year. I think it's broken.

Options
3 weeks ago

@TPBob I have an HS200 that's probably 5ish years old. Started doing the same thing as described in this thread. Any luck getting yours back online?

On my end the app shows the device offline. I've pushed the reboot and rest buttons. Threw the breaker to the switch. Removed the device from the app and tried to reinstall the switch. No luck.

Next I will remove the switch from electrical wiring, rewire and see if it resets itself. Doubtful, but worth the effort since I'll be installing a new one anyway if that doesn't work.

Options
3 weeks ago - last edited 3 weeks ago

Count me in as another victim of this failure mode, happened just last week with an HS200. This one's been in service with no issues for just over a year, then suddenly it started exhibiting the symtoms you all describe. I am a EE by training and have over 40 Kasa devices in my smart home so I kinda know what I'm doing. The symptoms are the same as a faulty neutral, but I'm 100% positive the neutral is fine and was properly connected. I happened to have a spare HS200, and upon swapping it, the fixture works properly again.

Looking over the forum posts, this seems to be a fairly common problem exhibuted by multiple device types in this product line. It would be nice if someone from TP-Link would comment on it as they must be aware of a common failure mode these devices are all exhibiting.

Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 227

Replies: 4

Related Articles