Choose mobile operator?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Choose mobile operator?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Choose mobile operator?
Choose mobile operator?
2019-08-06 15:31:48
Model: Archer MR200  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: 1.9.0

Hi there

I can't see an option for it so I'm guessing the answer is no, but is there any way to manually specify the network operator, like you can on a phone?

I'm roaming and the network operator my SIM defaults to is a lot slower than another I am able to select on my phone when I manually search.  It'd be great if I was able to do the same with the SIM in my 4G Router.

Thanks

Matt

Options
23 Reply
Re:Choose mobile operator?
2019-08-06 16:58:26

I was a bit suprised as well when i noticed this option is not available in the MR6400

Options
2019-08-08 03:49:24

@Archer200User 

You can create the connection profile manually with the APN info. Instruction as below:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1663/ 

@Michiel     

For MR6400, please check under advanced-network-internet page, click create profile to do that manually.

Best regards. 

Options
Re:Re:Choose mobile operator?
2019-08-08 09:15:23
Hi. Thanks for the response. Being able to manually specify access point details isn't the same as being able to choose the roaming network you connect to it though unfortunately.
Options
Re:Re:Re:Choose mobile operator?
2019-08-08 11:12:23

Exactly, i think Kevin misunderstood what you meant when starting this thread.

When roaming (not being in home country) nearly every cellphone offers the possibility to manually choose the network operator of your choice after doing a "network scan", similar as doing a "site survey" to find wifi access points.

When at home you are only allowed to choose the operator you are having a contract with.

Being able to choose another available operator via a dropdown menu can indeed help finding the fastest available network for that particular location. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Choose mobile operator?
2019-08-09 09:13:11

@Archer200User 

Sorry for the misunderstanding, and thanks for your @Michiel clarification. Now I got your point.

Until now, there is no option to choose network operator manually when roaming. 

While we will remind our R&D team and they can work on it and evaluate the feasibility.

Best regards. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Choose mobile operator?
2020-04-15 10:31:03

@Kevin_Z 

Hello

Is anything new in this topic - any news from  R&D team work?

Options
2020-07-20 06:16:16

@Archer200User  Same issue for me and question to all if there has been any update or new feature to be able to select mobile network while roaming?

Options
2020-08-05 15:41:39

@Archer200User 

Looks like this is sorted - if you update to the latest firmware you can now choose the network operator - go to Advanced > Network > Internet and under Dial-up Settings you can change network search to manual.

Thanks Tp Link!

Options
2020-08-10 09:38:50

@Archer200User thanks for this. It sounds great, however I don't think there is a new firmware upgrade available. 
I have searched for it online as well as it the control dashboard, but there doesn't seem to be a new release.

Can you tell me where you found the update?

Options
2020-08-11 14:41:39

@Remyduthcy Hi.  I just updated the firmware through the GUI - Advanced > System Tools > Firmware Upgrade.  The version is 1.17.0 0.9.1 v0001.0 Build 200526 Rel.36799n

Under Advanced > Network > Internet, under dial-up settings I am able to select between automatic and manual network search.  Selecting manual shows the list of network operators to choose from - e.g. Vodafone, EE etc.  Screenshot below.  Do you not see the same?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 4629

Replies: 23

Related Articles