Controlling Unscheduled Automatic Power Save Delivery (U-APSD) protocol per SSID

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Controlling Unscheduled Automatic Power Save Delivery (U-APSD) protocol per SSID

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-08-29 18:20:20

Using Omada Controller 3.2.1 (with EAP245 Access Points), I can turn the Unscheduled Automatic Power Save Delivery (U-APSD) protocol on and off independently for each radio.

If I'm recalling correctly, at least some Ubiquiti configurations allow U-APSD to be turned on and off for each SSID.

Being able to control U-APSD at the SSID level which would be very valuable for the Omada deployment I'm working on, because:

1. I want to maximize battery life for in-house devices by having U-APSD turned on for our private SSIDs, but also maximize compatibility for guest devices by having U-APSD turned off for guest SSIDs.

2. Some in-house Wi-Fi gadgets (wireless sensors and other "Internet of Things" devices) with certain chipsets don't get along well with U-APSD, so I need to put them on their own SSIDs with U-APSD turned off

Does anyone know of a workaround to enable/disable U-APSD at the SSID level?

Thanks very much for any help!

Options
4 Reply
Re:Re:Controlling Unscheduled Automatic Power Save Delivery (U-APSD) protocol per SSID
2019-08-30 21:53:13

R1D2 wrote

In my opinion it makes no sense to enable U-APSD based on a SSID...it does not help for battery-powered devices, since the AP's radio in power save mode would require a PS poll frame from a client in order to wake up...all clients have...to go asleep in order to let the AP's radio go into power save mode, too.

@R1D2, from a bit of time perusing these forums, I know you know your stuff! 😅

And I am no expert on anything regarding Wi-Fi, so I'm totally open to being told I'm wrong.

That said, my (again, limited) understanding of U-APSD is that the benefit for U-APSD-aware battery-powered clients is that they get to put their radios to sleep frequently, while the AP buffers frames to then be sent either one-by-one ("Trigger-Enabled U-APSD") or all at once ("Delivery-Enabled U-APSD") when the client radio comes out of sleep after a few milliseconds and pings the AP again.

The only thing I find in the Omada Controller User Guide regarding U-APSD is this: "As a power management method, it can greatly improve the energy-saving capacity of clients."

So, as I understand it, you're talking AP power management (which may well be a thing, but not what I'm shooting for), and I'm talking battery-powered client power management.

Of course, now that I've typed all this, it occurs to me that online discussions of problems between IoT clients with primitive/older Wi-Fi chipsets and U-APSD might be about the protocol-level conversations that go wrong when an AP advertises U-APSD capabilities, or they might be about what happens when an AP sleeps and the primitive client chipset doesn't know what to make of it.

Does my thinking make any sense? Can you point me to any information about whether TP-Link AP radios do indeed sometimes sleep when U-APSD is active?

Options
Re: Controlling Unscheduled Automatic Power Save Delivery (U-APSD) protocol per SSID
2019-08-30 22:46:40

bland328 wrote

So, as I understand it, you're talking AP power management (which may well be a thing, but not what I'm shooting for), and I'm talking battery-powered client power management.

Of course, now that I've typed all this, it occurs to me that online discussions of problems between IoT clients with primitive/older Wi-Fi chipsets and U-APSD might be about the protocol-level conversations that go wrong when an AP advertises U-APSD capabilities, or they might be about what happens when an AP sleeps and the primitive client chipset doesn't know what to make of it.

Does my thinking make any sense? Can you point me to any information about whether TP-Link AP radios do indeed sometimes sleep when U-APSD is active?

Ah, I see. Yes, your thinkig makes sense, uAPSD is about power saving battery-powered devices in applications such as Voice-over-WLAN (formerly called WMM-PowerSave). It's not about AP power management - the development progresses faster than books about standards can be printed :-} , so I deleted my wrong answer.

Controlling aggregation of the data to be sent from an AP to an uAPSD-capable client probably make sense on a per-SSID base rather than for all SSIDs of a radio.

I think @forrest could answer this better whether it could be made a per-SSID option or whether it should be a radio-based setting.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
Re:Re:Re:Controlling Unscheduled Automatic Power Save Delivery (U-APSD) protocol per SSID
2019-09-02 02:13:09

bland328 wrote

R1D2 wrote

In my opinion it makes no sense to enable U-APSD based on a SSID...it does not help for battery-powered devices, since the AP's radio in power save mode would require a PS poll frame from a client in order to wake up...all clients have...to go asleep in order to let the AP's radio go into power save mode, too.

@R1D2, from a bit of time perusing these forums, I know you know your stuff! 😅

And I am no expert on anything regarding Wi-Fi, so I'm totally open to being told I'm wrong.

That said, my (again, limited) understanding of U-APSD is that the benefit for U-APSD-aware battery-powered clients is that they get to put their radios to sleep frequently, while the AP buffers frames to then be sent either one-by-one ("Trigger-Enabled U-APSD") or all at once ("Delivery-Enabled U-APSD") when the client radio comes out of sleep after a few milliseconds and pings the AP again.

The only thing I find in the Omada Controller User Guide regarding U-APSD is this: "As a power management method, it can greatly improve the energy-saving capacity of clients."

@bland328 , we know that you are asking if the EAP supports U-APSD(Unscheduled Automatic Power Save Delivery), and we can see that when we manage the EAP via Omada Controller, we can achieve this goal. This feature is enabled by default. 

U-APSD must be supported both by the clients and AP. When enabling this feature, we can enable power save mode of Wi-Fi devices. 

Unlike UBNT, when we enable this feature, all SSIDs in 2.4G or 5G will take effect. If you want this feature take effects based on the SSID, now the Omada Controller cannot do this.

Hope this is useful for you.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Controlling Unscheduled Automatic Power Save Delivery (U-APSD) protocol per SSID
2019-10-15 20:06:41

@R1D2, sorry for taking so long to thank you for your response! I'm sincerely glad to hear I'm making sense regarding U-APSD ;)

@forrest, thank you for responding--I'm aware of the existing global U-APSD enable/disable feature, but that limitation (that it is solely a global setting) is precisely why I initially posted.

I need the ability to provide U-APSD on some SSIDs (those SSIDs to which smart devices such as laptops, phones and tablets connect), while turning it off on other SSIDs (those I've created especially for the connection of IoT devices which apparently have primitive Wi-Fi chipsets that are easily upset by U-APSD).

My impression is that this use case is largely (if not solely) why the Ubiquiti controller provides this ability.

So, I'm rather desperately hoping this feature will be added to the Omada controller, as it is the only Ubiquiti feature I'm lacking for my purposes.

Thanks very much for your consideration.

Options