Two Powerline networks working together

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-04-18 11:24:53
Model: Deco P9  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.2 build 20190917 rel 71168

New to Forum but have been using TP Link powerline adapters for many years, I have one main 1300 mbps unit connected to the switch and then 4 adapters around the house.  They are a mix of 500 and 1300 Mbps rated.  UK based and a very old house so wiring is probably not updated since 20+ years there is a consumer unit with separate switches/breakers for different circuits in the house but I have no idea how the house is wired not competent electically.

On the original TP Link network the TP Link utility shows them connecting to the main adapter at a range of 116 Mbps to 300 MbPs. 

I had problems with wireless signal reaching around the house so just added a P9 Mesh x 3 units.  I have thick walls and chose the P9 as I knew the wireless even to the next room was not great,  I connected main P9 to the same switch as the existing TP Link adapter and configured it as AP mode so I retain my original router (Apple Time Capsule) connected to Virgin router running in Modem only mode.   I get transfer speeds in rooms with P9 units of range of 460 in the room with the main P9 wired to switch, to about 300 in the other two rooms with P9 units.  I am planning to add additional units for the upstairs rooms,  Waiting for the delivery!

I don't really have any issues but just curious on a couple of questions:

• By adding the P9 units have I created an additional powerline network alongside the existing units I already had installed?
  • Will they conflict in any way with each other or clash with each other across the mains circuit?  Is it OK to run the two together?
  • I am intrigued as to whether my p9 units are using powerline and or wireless to communicate with each other - any way to tell how they are operating?
  • Is my config OK/recommended or should I do something different?  I do use some of the existing adapters with the multiple network ports so could be short of ports if I try just use the P9 (owing to 2 ports per unit) but would that likely create a cleaner network?
  • Is it possible to configure the existing old TP Link powerline adapters to use the same powerline network as the P9 ie join the same powerline network?

I am happy with the performance except for having to switch off fast browsing on the P9 owing to a camera not connecting with it switched on, but just curious if I should be deploying this mix of tech differently.

Thanks for any help or input.

Graham

Options
1 Reply
Re:Two Powerline networks working together
2020-04-28 10:32:57

@GrahamPat 

1. By adding the P9 units, you have created an additional powerline network alongside the existing units you already had installed. The powerline network between the Deco is unable to communicate with the powerline devices.

2. When the powerline backhaul is working on the Deco, because of Deco and the powerline devices are transfer signal with the powerline system, so they may interfere with each other.

3. Currently, this feature is not available. But we will keep recording the same kind of request. Then we can forward it to our product engineer and they can work on it. 

4. If the Deco is working fine now, I think your config is ok. Because the powerline adapters and the Deco are connected to the same router, so when a device is connected to the powerline adapter or Deco by an Ethernet cable, there is no much difference, the device's IP address still assigned by the main router.

5. Deco's powerline network is unable to communicate with the powerline network.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 631

Replies: 1

Related Articles