Sky Fibre - Sky Q Crashing

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-02-02 09:28:50 - last edited 2021-02-04 01:32:06
Model: Archer VR2100  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.4.0 0.9.1 v009e.0 Build 201122 Rel.72659n

So i've moved my Sky Fibre router to a VR2100.

All devices connected ok and working - apart from Sky Q which appears to randomly freeze and totally crash my box - the only way to fix being to power off sky and on again.

Sky q was working fine for the last 12 months on the old sky router so i know its related to my new setup.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I really dont want to move back as i have much better wireless strength and throughput all round the house and QOS is working well for my playstation!

Thanks,
Phil

Options
18 Reply
Re:Sky Fibre - Sky Q Crashing
2021-02-04 01:38:12

@Phil4wd 

Thank you for posting on the TP-Link Community.

Can you please provide more details as below, then we can try to investigate?

1. What is the detailed symptom when the Sky Q box freeze, can we have a short video about the issue? 

2. Is the Sky Q box connected to the 5G network or 2.4G? What if you try the other? Is it possible to connect the Sky Q box to the VR2100 with an Ethernet cable?

3. How about other services and devices in the network, are they working properly? Is the YouTube application on the Sky Q box working? How about the Netflix and Disney+ app on your mobile phone when it is connected to the VR2100's wireless?

4. Are there any special requirements for the modem settings, such as on the old Sky router? Try to confirm with the Sky Q box support.

Options
2021-02-07 21:21:44 - last edited 2021-02-07 21:22:44

@Phil4wd @Kevin_Z 

Hi, I too have recently just bought an AC2100 TPLink dsl router and get exactly the same problem.

All other devices work perfectly but as soon as i connect my SkyQ box to the wifi network, the whole box crashes (even the remote becomes unrespoonsive) and i have to do a full power down by removing the power lead.  Even when i reboot my SkyQ box, i often dont have time to reset the SkyQ network settings before it locks up again.

I have seen several posts recently about this being a common issue with TPLink's routers but find it strange what could cause the incompatibility.

I have comnnected via Ethernet and that works ok, but I cannot keep this method as i would rather not run very long ethernet cables half way round my house and would like to utilise the WiFi of the router.

I have also tried using powerline and that works but not very well with constanmt loss of network conenction & resets required.

Any help here TPLink please would be appriciated. I would rather not have to request a refund from my vendor. 

Options
2021-02-08 03:27:38

@Noo8ie 

Does it mean when you connect the Sky Q box to the VR2100 via an Ethernet cable, it will work properly?

Are there other Sky Q devices such as Sky Q mini? If there are, please set up its own SSID on the Sky Q box, then pair the Sky Q Mini box to the Sky Q box via the WPS button on the Mini box, confirm if the issue persists.

We understand that this is not a solution, our engineers are working with the dev team to analyze this, we will update a solution.

Options
2021-02-08 13:36:40

@Kevin_Z 

Hi, when I connect the main box via ethernet it works OK. I have a sky q mini connected via WPS and both worked OK. 

I am unable to test this on the mini box by connecting via WiFi as the sky q box freezes before I can set up the mini to connect to the main box by WPS. 

I have only experienced this fault when connecting via the WiFi. 

Hope this helps

Options
2021-02-08 14:39:42

@Phil4wd Update...

I've sorted the issue:

I moved the TP-Link wireless router closer to the main Sky Q box and its resolved the issue.

When the engineer came, he could see that the Sky Q box was struggling to hold a constant connection to the wireless due to weak signal & interference which in turn was overloading the box and causing it to freeze.

I've moved the TP link closer but also setup QOS (quality of service) with sky q at high priority.

5 days in and not one crash so far 😊

Options
2021-02-08 14:49:20

@Phil4wd 

How do you set up QOS?

Signal is not an issue where my box is, but interested to know how you set up better quality signal.

Thanks and sorry for highjacking your thread.

Options
2021-02-08 14:51:34
no worries :) It depends on your router but i used this...https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1104/ basically login to your router home page and go to QOS option and setup from there. It won't boost signal - but it will prioritise your sky box as getting a larger dedicated portion of your bandwidth.
Options
2021-02-08 15:04:16

@Phil4wd 

Thanks. 

Worth a try while the admins try to find out whqt is really going on. 

I don't think signal is an issue as my phone and wife's laptop get 3/4 signal where sky q box is, but willing to try anything at the moment. 

Options
2021-02-11 16:08:59

@Phil4wd 

My SkyQ box was freezing daily, I noticed how hot it got.  put it on a ethernet cable and no more freezing.

Won't suit everyone but it's what worked for me.

Options
2021-02-11 16:20:59

@plasmahal 

That's what I've seen but this is not a sustainable option for me, and tbh, I shouldn't have to hard wire just because the router wifi signal causes the sky to crash. It used to work perfect on my old routers, so seems very focused on the TPLink signal. 

Still not found a non ethernet fix and hoping TPLink can help. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3545

Replies: 18