EAP Disconnected

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

EAP Disconnected

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
EAP Disconnected
EAP Disconnected
2021-10-09 04:05:05 - last edited 2021-10-18 02:52:06
Model: EAP225-Outdoor  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 5.0.5

HI..

I have a dispute with my isp and they cut off our connection.

So we're using another connection ... but for some reason the EAP got disconnected and was not re-adopted by the Controller Software.

Do I need to forget it in order to force it to re-adopt?

Thanks 

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:EAP Disconnected-Solution
2021-10-15 14:25:31 - last edited 2021-10-18 02:52:06

@Fae 

It's working now - fingers x'd:

First problem appears to be the start.bat file:

java -XX:MaxHeapFreeRatio=60 ... -cp "%~dp0..\lib\*" com.tplink.omada.start.OmadaMain start

Added a w to java... forcing it to use the "non-window" or "console" java run time

javaw -XX:MaxHeapFreeRatio=60 ... -cp "%~dp0..\lib\*" com.tplink.omada.start.OmadaMain start

Then I added an entry to the "path" environment variable:

C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_301\bin\

Pointing it to the 64bit java run time

Lastly, I moved the new entry for "path" to the top - so it finds that first - hopefully I won't have broken anything else by doing that.

Checked it restarts and rediscovers normally 

Checked it restarts and rediscovers when power is switched off and back on

Thanks for your help

Recommended Solution
Options
13 Reply
Re:EAP Disconnected
2021-10-09 07:24:39

Dear @Bebe1980,

Bebe1980 wrote

So we're using another connection ... but for some reason the EAP got disconnected and was not re-adopted by the Controller Software.

Disconnected state indicates that the EAP cannot communicate with the Controller.

Is the EAP connected to the same LAN network with the Controller?

It's suggested to check whether the EAP and Controller obtain valid IP addresses, then check the connection between the EAP and Controller using the ping command. For more details, please refer to this FAQ.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2021-10-10 10:33:27

@Fae 

Thanks I looked at the FAQ.

The EAP is and has always been working despite being disconnected from the controller, it has internet and those with valid vouchers can still connect.

The EAP IP is 192.168.0.190 it get's it IP from Router2 (192.168.0.1) which Connects to Router1 (192.168.254.254) for the internet.

Step 3 Ping - just times out

Step 4 - they are not in the same subnet so went to Step 5

Step 5 - there were about 8 entries for Javaw.exe so I tidied it up and checked private and public

I then restarted the pc - I am using nssm to run Omada Controller as a Service on Windows 10

Checked the EAP was still disconnected and stopped the Service

Step 6 Ran the discovery utility from PC running the Omada Controller - didn't find EAP - even with given IP address

Step 6 Ran the discovery utility from PC on same subnet as EAP - finds the EAP but when I try to "manage" the controller will not adopt it - Adopt Fails

I tried to look at the packets but I couldn't find anything on port 29810 as described - is there an easier way to check this ? I looked in the Log file for discovery but that doesn't say much...

Thanks

Options
2021-10-11 07:00:48

Dear @Bebe1980,

Bebe1980 wrote

Step 6 Ran the discovery utility from PC on same subnet as EAP - finds the EAP but when I try to "manage" the controller will not adopt it - Adopt Fails

When clicking "manage" with the discovery utility, we need to put in the IP address of the PC that has the Controller installed with, the Username and Password of the EAP (it's the Device Account configured on the Controller since the EAP was managed by the controller before, you may navigate to Settings -> Site -> Device Account to check it).

Please confirm that you have input the correct information to manage it.

If you do but there shows some error message, please provide the error page for checking.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2021-10-11 13:42:22 - last edited 2021-10-11 14:58:34

@Fae 

Hi

Think I understand - I tried it two ways:

1) using the admin account and password for the controller software and

2) using the windows log in account and password for the remote pc

Neither worked 

OK found the Device Account in Settings from your reply and used the password from there...

It says it succeeded but when I check it they're still disconnected!

I'll try it a couple more times using the correct account and password

It succeeds on the discovery utility but when I check again on the Omada Controller via web or remote pc the EAP is still disconnected :(

Another odd thing I've noticed when I try to run the Omada Controller app web interface it doesn't like it... I normally have to restart the remote pc to get it to run it and let me log in... 

Update:

I tried the Discovery Utility on the remote pc and it is now finding the EAP

I try to adopt it but Adopt Times Out...

Options
2021-10-13 04:32:14

@Fae 

Hi again...

Lot's of fiddling, but after a quick RTFM session: 

1 Turned off the NSSM - service manager for Omada Controller

2 Killed the mongo DB process - to release the ports stopping the Omada Controller starting again

3 Ran the Omada Controller

4 Deleted second site I have set up - see below - does this generate a 2nd Device Password?

4 Forgot the EAP

5 Left the Omada Controller running on remote pc and disconnected remote session

6 Ran Omada Discovery Utility on local pc - same subnet the EAP are connected to - discovered my EAP - I actually have 2

7 Managed EAP 1 setting succeeded 

8 Managed EAP 2 Failed - maybe a bug here - My Omada Controller software had a different password for each device (maybe I was fiddling to see if I could isolate a Site on one device at some time) but they both seem to use the password of the first device... which then appears to succeed on the Discovery Utility but doesn't gel when returning to the Omada Controller app

9 Logged back in to remote pc - provisioned EAP 1 and Connected OK - EAP 2 failed - tried forgetting that one

10 Tried discovering EAP 2 again... wasn't having it - pulled the LAN cable to force a reboot of EAP 2

11 Omada Controller discovered EAP 2 itself (Managed by Other's I think it said) - Adopted it using the password of Device EAP 1

12 All appears to running ok now - and I have only one password for both EAP's (I think)

I'll switch the service back on later but I cannot imagine that will cause any problems

Options
2021-10-14 01:30:43

Dear @Bebe1980,

Bebe1980 wrote

4 Deleted second site I have set up - see below - does this generate a 2nd Device Password?

If your EAPs weren't managed on the second Site before they are disconnected from the Controller, the EAPs wouldn't take the Device Password configured on the second Site.

I'll switch the service back on later but I cannot imagine that will cause any problems

It may not cause the EAP to get disconnected from the controller, please refer to the guide below to configure Omada Controller as a Windows Service by using NSSM. If there is anything new, please feel free to reply here.

How to Configure Omada Controller as a Windows Service(above Controller 4.1.5)

Options
2021-10-15 04:03:41 - last edited 2021-10-15 08:28:02

@Fae 

Not quite there yet :(

Bit weird - running the Omada Controller - omada-start.jar ... the Omada Controller rediscovers the EAP's, provisions and connects

When I use the NSSM service, for some reason it doesn't rediscover the EAPS... they remain disconnected

I disabled the NSSM OmadaControllerService and installed it again - creating service: OmadaControllerServiceII but that doesn't work either.

I can run Omada Controller as a start up in Windows 10 but if there is a power outage (we have many) it won't run automatically whereas the NSSM does.

I would have thought LocalSystem had more permissions than a normal Administrator account - so not sure what's going wrong ... ?

I've checked the firewall settings for javaw.exe - and they seem ok

Further Info:

RunTime Used By Stand Alone Omada Controller
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_301\bin\javaw.exe - 64bit

RunTime Used By NSSM Service
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Oracle\Java\javapath_target_2046953\javaw.exe - 32bit

I can also stop the OmadaControllerServiceII, kill the mongo db process and then run stand alone Omada Controller and it will rediscover the EAPS itself...

Options
Re:EAP Disconnected-Solution
2021-10-15 14:25:31 - last edited 2021-10-18 02:52:06

@Fae 

It's working now - fingers x'd:

First problem appears to be the start.bat file:

java -XX:MaxHeapFreeRatio=60 ... -cp "%~dp0..\lib\*" com.tplink.omada.start.OmadaMain start

Added a w to java... forcing it to use the "non-window" or "console" java run time

javaw -XX:MaxHeapFreeRatio=60 ... -cp "%~dp0..\lib\*" com.tplink.omada.start.OmadaMain start

Then I added an entry to the "path" environment variable:

C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_301\bin\

Pointing it to the 64bit java run time

Lastly, I moved the new entry for "path" to the top - so it finds that first - hopefully I won't have broken anything else by doing that.

Checked it restarts and rediscovers normally 

Checked it restarts and rediscovers when power is switched off and back on

Thanks for your help

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-10-18 03:02:52

Dear @Bebe1980,

Glad to hear that it's working now. Thank you for sharing your solution with the community!

Hope you enjoy the Internet with TP-Link products. Have a great day!

Options
2021-10-19 01:08:19

@Fae 

Thanks - the next day one of the EAP's annoyingly disconnected again!

Fortunately I had a back up from a couple of days prior to the issues arising and after doing a manual reset on both EAP's I re-adopted them both and restored the site settings that appears to have sorted things out.

So I think that is probably the "recommended solution"

One thing I noticed is that edge browser automatically disables files with cfg extension that Omada Controller creates for back-ups

Couple of other questions if you would:

Is there any progress on the Cloud Based Controller?

Is it possible for the Hotspot Operator to login via the cloud?

Does the Hotspot Operator login work?

The manual says:

For software controller

Visit the URL https://Omada Controller Host’s IP Address:8043/hotspot (for example:
https://192.168.0.174:8043/hotspot), and use the operator account to enter the hotspot manager

I created a test operator and tried a couple of times on mine but it kept taking me back to the admin login?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1912

Replies: 13

Related Articles