Link Down not working

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Link Down not working

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Link Down not working
Link Down not working
2023-06-07 22:24:28 - last edited 2023-06-13 03:00:08
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.1.2

My Configuration

1. Modems connected directly to the ER605; Tigo WAN1, C&W LAN/WAN1

2. ER605 configure as the primary router and computer connected to a secondary router that is configured in bridge mode in order obtain the IP address from main router (ER605)

3. Computer is wired to the router set on bridge as well all personal devices 

Issue: 

I have 2 ISP that is connected to the ER605, Whenever i loose internet service from WAN1 (C&W) the Load Balancer shows it online. When i disconnect it manually it will switch to WAN/LAN1 (Tigo) as well for when the network cable remove physically from the Load Balancer. But when the service is down it doesnt detect it offline or down.

i have hotspot connected to WAN/LAN2 but it isnt physically connected at this time. Please disregards it it doesnt make a difference if you remove WAN/LAN2 from WAN Mode

I have the fail over configure to statis it was on automatic same results too

Screenshot 1 "Connected and service Down" shows  modem connected... despite not able to retrieve the DNS and unable to retrieve Gateway  information - SERVICE IS  DOWN (WAN TIGO)

)

Screenshot 2 "ER605 Status WAN" Status Manually disconnected modem - All details cleared due to modem disconnected and WAN/LAN1 Service is up and running

Screenshot 3 "ER605 Status WAN 1"  Status Manually disconnected modem - details  shows populated due to service functioning its up and running

Goal

I am trying to get backup link to work whenever the internet provider fails to deliver the service and want to make sure my configurations is correct prior to approaching my ISP.

Currently the backup link works when both modems are set on primary, but is inconsistent due to packets being sent to the ISP that is down and i want the load balancer to determine that the WAN is down and to forward these only to WAN/LAN1. 

I tried the following configurations:

My Initial config

WAN 

Some internet packets lost due to sites or games not loading properly or responding 

Secondary Config

It doesnt switch to the backup link due to the packets arriving to the load balancer. Unless manualy disconnected from the Cloud controller or physicall unplugged which defeats the purpose.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Link Down not working -Solution
2023-06-11 08:10:39 - last edited 2023-06-13 03:00:08

@Virgo 

Thanks for helping me all this time. I was able to figure out the problem, it was a communication error between the controller and the load balancer. After resetting and provisioning the ER605, it was able to detect the LINK-Down from the online status

Test methodology

Change the option to switch to Backup WAN when any primary is down

Recreated  the service disruption by unplugging the cable line from the modem.

Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:Link Down not working
2023-06-08 09:51:06

@Drjay18 

1. The load balancing feature will be not active once you enable the link backup, because link backup mean only 1 WAN is online as always.

2. If you wanna achieve the specific data goes through the specific WAN, you can set policy routing, and enable this:

3. If the WAN still shows online even though it has been down, click the ER605 on the device list and go to Config----Advanced, set the Echo server to check the link.

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
2023-06-08 17:42:21 - last edited 2023-06-08 17:43:18

@Virgo 

Thats correct the load balancing feature will not work in this configuration.

With "link-backup" enabled, it should switch to backup when all connections are lost.

The problem I am facing is the "link-backup" only switches when the modem is no longer physically connected to the ER605 or the modem lost power. If I remove cable line from the modem's *coax connection*, it still shows the link-up

Again, my goal in the previous example was to get the connection to switch from WAN to WAN/LAN1, but the link-down needs to work in order for ER605 to make this switch to the backup WAN if it doesnt my original configuration will not work as well.

That's why my setup above isn't considering the load balancing option, as the main problem I'm having is that Link-Down doesn't work when the service is out in my area on "WAN" only when it's disconnected or turned off manually on the Omada controller.

I made the change to my original setup, see image below.

Service Up 

Original configuration

Options
2023-06-09 03:13:09

@Drjay18 

Please try this, it will help you to ping through the WAN side and switch to an online WAN in time.

If the WAN still shows online even though it has been down, click the ER605 on the device list and go to Config----Advanced, set the Echo server to check the link.

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
2023-06-09 17:12:47

@Virgo 

i have tried changing the Online Detection Interval as well but it still doesn't detect the link is down (30 60 and ultimately 1 second and no difference either)

I am now trying with the hardware Offload disable to see if it make a difference

Options
Re:Link Down not working -Solution
2023-06-11 08:10:39 - last edited 2023-06-13 03:00:08

@Virgo 

Thanks for helping me all this time. I was able to figure out the problem, it was a communication error between the controller and the load balancer. After resetting and provisioning the ER605, it was able to detect the LINK-Down from the online status

Test methodology

Change the option to switch to Backup WAN when any primary is down

Recreated  the service disruption by unplugging the cable line from the modem.

Recommended Solution
Options