Understanding Omada AP Stats

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-06-26 04:12:23 - last edited 2023-06-26 04:14:37
Model: EAP225  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Howdy folks, referring to the image below, I would like to understand why the "Rx Error/Dropped" is at 6.1%.  Am I correct in assuming that these are packets received from a wifi device like a phone or laptop?

Is this error rate high?  If yes, what would be causing this?  Interference from other nearby AP's?  Would changing channels on other AP's make a difference?  At the moment, all I've done with AP configuration is to get them setup with default config in the OC-200 controller.

Many thanks for any insights.

1f33deb6fba747959bb4802624ead8c9

Retired infrastructure project manager, now being roped into various volunteer projects.
Options
3 Reply
Re:Understanding Omada AP Stats
2023-06-26 15:08:57

@EagleHeart - I'm going to take a shot at answering my own question.  I think this may be happening due to radio interference caused by other wifi sources,

a)  I've got an AT&T DSL modem with wifi enabled that is used for the security devices in the building.  I will be moving the devices to the new network and will be able to eliminate this DSL modem entirely.  Second, there is an HP printer that is hardwire connected to a PC via USB but is transmitting wifi signals that are very strong.  Turning this off ought to reduce interference.

If there is anything else I should look for, please let me know.

Retired infrastructure project manager, now being roped into various volunteer projects.
Options
2023-06-26 15:23:24

@EagleHeart - An additional question, please.  Is this AP device reporting its own packet loss or is this a loss from the cable modem and all the way down the network as well?

Thank you.

Options
2023-06-26 21:11:59

@EagleHeart 

Hey

Ok so answering you queries in reverse order :)

This is purely packet loss over the WiFi on 2.4ghz frequency.., not anything to do with LAN, Internet or Printers so dont worry about that

The short answer is, personally i wouldn't get too hung up on the loss as its 2.4ghz and that is kinda expected.   The 2.4 spe3ctrum is very congested in 99% of scenarios and therefore floods massively, when this happens it causes interference which corrupts the data going over the air.  Once the AP receives the data, as its garbage it drops it and retries, which logs 1 error and 1 drop.  If the packet is salvageable in some way, its not dropped so logs just an error.

As said this is exceptionally common in 2.4ghz as the airspace is very congested, 5ghz you likely wont see that happen to the same level.   Bear in mind however that no WiFi is 100% efficient, there is always interferance and packet loss, generally 2-4% is normal for 5ghz, tad more (sub 10%) for 2.4ghz

You could try changing channels, but it may not help much.   If it aint causing you too many issues, I wouldnt get hung up on it.   Switch to 5ghz if possible and the issue will disappear

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 511

Replies: 3

Related Articles