Install Omada on Debian 12

2023-09-07 11:55:41 - last edited 2023-09-08 05:53:54

Hi Group,

I want to share my frustrations - maybe someone even knows the answer.
First: Debian 12 has not reached TP yet. The installation procedure is somewhat outdated.

Omada requieres Mongodb. Current version is 7.x, and it is actually possible to install it - but the installation does not work.
First: you have to add a DEB entry in some file and make sure it also contains the signing. Some suggests key management but I was not successfull doing that:
/etc/apt/sources.list.d make a file like mongodb-org-7.0.list

It should contain:

deb [ arch=amd64,arm64 signed-by=/usr/share/keyrings/mongodb-server-7.0.gpg ] https://repo.mongodb.org/apt/ubuntu jammy/mongodb-org/7.0 multiverse

This will make it possible to apt install mongodb-org

Alas the installation will not create a service - and hence it will not start:
Create in /etc/systemd/system a file called mongodb.service containing:

[Unit]
Description=An object/document-oriented database
Documentation=man:mongod(1)
After=network.target

[Service]
User=mongodb
Group=mongodb
ExecStart=/usr/bin/mongod --quiet --config /etc/mongodb.conf

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

That makes it possible to systemctl enable mongodb - but /etc/mongodb.conf still does not exist. It may look something like (see mongodb manual):

processManagement:
   fork: true
net:
   bindIp: localhost
   port: 27017
storage:
   dbPath: /var/lib/mongodb
systemLog:
   destination: file
   path: "/var/log/mongodb/mongod.log"
   logAppend: true
#storage:
#   journal:
#      enabled: true

The thee last lines was copied from an answer in a group, but the service would not start - did not know that directive.

Now it is possible to systemctl start mongodb :-)

Still it is not possible to install and run Omada....
I downloaded the tar.gz from the TP download site, extracted and ran install.sh
------------------------

root@mgr2:/home/freddy# systemctl status tpeap
× tpeap.service - LSB: Omada Controller
     Loaded: loaded (/etc/init.d/tpeap; generated)
     Active: failed (Result: timeout) since Thu 2023-09-07 02:41:59 CEST; 10h ago
       Docs: man:systemd-sysv-generator(8)
    Process: 1425 ExecStart=/etc/init.d/tpeap start (code=killed, signal=TERM)
        CPU: 1min 25.511s

sep 07 02:36:59 mgr2 systemd[1]: Starting tpeap.service - LSB: Omada Controller...
sep 07 02:41:59 mgr2 systemd[1]: tpeap.service: start operation timed out. Terminating.
sep 07 02:41:59 mgr2 systemd[1]: tpeap.service: Failed with result 'timeout'.
sep 07 02:41:59 mgr2 systemd[1]: tpeap.service: Unit process 1463 (jsvc) remains running after unit stopped.
sep 07 02:41:59 mgr2 systemd[1]: tpeap.service: Unit process 1464 (jsvc) remains running after unit stopped.
sep 07 02:41:59 mgr2 systemd[1]: tpeap.service: Unit process 4340 (sleep) remains running after unit stopped.
sep 07 02:41:59 mgr2 systemd[1]: Failed to start tpeap.service - LSB: Omada Controller.
sep 07 02:41:59 mgr2 systemd[1]: tpeap.service: Consumed 57.384s CPU time.
sep 07 02:42:00 mgr2 tpeap[1425]: Starting Omada Controller. Please wait...........................................

JSVC:
Omada installation manual says to get the source, a compiler and compile the thing.
It is possible to apt install jsvc and that was what i did - assuming the package will be updated by some nice and competent people :-)

journalctl -xeu tpeap.service

basically says the same as the status (a little more detail - and mine is in Danish. I will spare you that experience ;-)

Any thoughts?
Mine is: Why is TP not supporting debian 12 better - so that we all do not need to hack our way thru a jungle of google searches.
Ideally it should be apt install omada - and it works. I can live with a working install.sh adding a deb etc - as long as it works "out of the box".

Options
7 Reply
Re:Install Omada on Debian 12
2023-09-08 02:52:42 - last edited 2023-09-08 05:53:54

Hi @FreddyFremad

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Do you post in the correct section? Is this installation of the controller? What problem do you run into with the router?

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2023-09-08 10:12:08

@Clive_A 

I read your question as a way to tell me that this is not the right place.

Acrually my first attempt of configuring the router as dual wan using the 1000 mbps flat rate internet connection as the primary and only using the like 250 mbps 5g modem as a backup failed.  The 5g is on a plan financially. The router would rather use both lines simultaniously.

I did that first attempt using the direct browser interface.

Then I installed the controller on my windows 11 workstation (rather easily) and that pursuaded the router to work as I intended. So I need the controller.

I do not really want the controller running on my pc (that will reboot every patch tuesday) so I am trying to make it work on an older laptop I intend to use for general network things (DHCP, DNS, Omada, backup - and if possible network monitoring).

My network is rather small - SOHO segment - 3 routers, 3 fiber connected swtches, NAS, DB server, printer, VPN, ...

Where should I put this question about installing Omada on debian 12?

:-) Freddy

Options
2023-09-08 10:12:15

@Clive_A 

I read your question as a way to tell me that this is not the right place.

Acrually my first attempt of configuring the router as dual wan using the 1000 mbps flat rate internet connection as the primary and only using the like 250 mbps 5g modem as a backup failed.  The 5g is on a plan financially. The router would rather use both lines simultaniously.

I did that first attempt using the direct browser interface.

Then I installed the controller on my windows 11 workstation (rather easily) and that pursuaded the router to work as I intended. So I need the controller.

I do not really want the controller running on my pc (that will reboot every patch tuesday) so I am trying to make it work on an older laptop I intend to use for general network things (DHCP, DNS, Omada, backup - and if possible network monitoring).

My network is rather small - SOHO segment - 3 routers, 3 fiber connected swtches, NAS, DB server, printer, VPN, ...

Where should I put this question about installing Omada on debian 12?

:-) Freddy

Options
2023-09-08 14:43:01

@FreddyFremad 

Freddy, I strongly suggest you just download mbentley's Docker image and run that instead of fighting the antiquated Omada build.  Docker also makes moving to the next version of the controller almost painless :)

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2024-01-18 23:49:18

@FreddyFremad 

Hi Freddy, 

So, I'm running into this as well. I have a Raspberry Pi 5 running the only Raspberry OS it can, Bookworm, based on Debian 12. 

Note that I've had this running on Ubuntu and previous Raspberry Pi images, so not my first rodeo. 

This is more about stubbornness than anything :D

Were you able to get any further with it? 

Options
2024-01-19 00:03:56

@spiceyux 

Stubborn, futile, hopeless....

Happiness in two words: "docker" "container".  Just saying.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2024-01-19 00:22:37

@d0ugmac1 

Or just curious? But you do you and more power to you.

Options