VLAN configuration

VLAN configuration

VLAN configuration
VLAN configuration
2023-11-23 03:17:50
Model: TL-SG3452P  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi, need help with this configuration. I think basically, I'm also missing the server configurations (which are also needed to solve my problem). But the gist of it is we configure multiple vlans, 1 group for SIP, 1 group for wired connection, 1 group for wireless connections via APs. In the pictures, let's say ports 37-44 are for the wireless APs, ports 45-46 are going to our server (which is configured for bonding and dhcp server, sip etc.) and ports 49-52 are passthroughs going to another switch with a "similar" configuration.

The problem I'm experiencing is, when connecting to the SSID of the AP, we can't get to the internet but when I manually put a static IP to the device connecting to the internet, I can now connect properly. Checking the server, DHCP is running but why can't device automatically get an IP. We are getting the default IP 169.254.x.x

My question then is, can we say for certain that we have configured the VLANs correctly?

The other VLANS are similar to the picture wherein, SIP is port 1-18, Office is port 19-36 etc.

Options
11 Reply
Re:VLAN configuration
2023-11-23 04:44:54

@luntianc 

Presumably you are 'trunking' your 3 VLANs to the server by way of ports 45/46.    Consequently traffic on those ports will be tagged when it arrives at the server...so is your server properly configured to respond to DHCP requests in packets tagged to say VLAN 701?

As a test, do WIFI connected users start getting IP addresses if you move ports 45/46 from tagged to untagged for VLAN 701?

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2023-11-23 09:03:11

@d0ugmac1 Yes to 3 VLANs going to server. I'm in the notion that the tagged packets will then be translated to get the correct IP from the DHCP server in the server.

And I agree with you, next time I'm in the office, I will try out transferring the server from the tagged to untagged position.

On a side question, if for example, I wanted to setup a router for VLAN 701 to get their IP from, should I put it in the tagged or untagged position? (although based from what I read, it should be untagged?)

Options
2023-11-24 01:16:02

Hi @luntianc 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

luntianc wrote

@d0ugmac1 Yes to 3 VLANs going to server. I'm in the notion that the tagged packets will then be translated to get the correct IP from the DHCP server in the server.

And I agree with you, next time I'm in the office, I will try out transferring the server from the tagged to untagged position.

On a side question, if for example, I wanted to setup a router for VLAN 701 to get their IP from, should I put it in the tagged or untagged position? (although based from what I read, it should be untagged?)

If you are using a PC, use untagged port. If you connect a VLAN-aware device, use tagged and you can trunk it to have more VLANs.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2023-12-04 02:52:28

@Clive_A @d0ugmac1 New information acquired. We are running the server outlined in this wiki, and probably a DMVPN node as well. Will that shed some light on how I should do my VLANs?

Small_Office_Services on alphine linux wiki

https://t.ly/eL3r1

Options
2023-12-05 04:22:25
I will never click a short url.
Options
2023-12-05 04:22:28
I will never click a short url.
Options
2023-12-05 09:34:18

@d0ugmac1 Oh ok, TP link doesn't want me to put the url of the wiki, how can I send it?

Options
2023-12-05 09:37:29

@d0ugmac1 wiki-alpinelinux-org/wiki/Small_Office_Services

I guess replace the dashes with dots?

Options
2023-12-07 08:52:22

@luntianc 

he means that short link may contain malicious download or other types of harmful information. so, avoid short link though i know it is a great way to share.

i totally understand and agree with that.. it is not recommended to do so. 

usually, the forum use [dot] or any other types to paste a third party link. 

ScReW yOu gUyS. I aM GOinG hoMe. —————————————————————— For heaven's sake, can you write and describe your issue based on plain fact, common logic and a methodologic approach? Appreciate it.
Options
2023-12-07 14:29:39

@Tedd404 Yes I understand that but I didn't have any other way to share a link that tp link is blocking. Thanks.

Options