Setting up new home network

Setting up new home network

14 Reply
Re:Setting up new home network
2024-01-08 13:41:41

@d0ugmac1 

Thanks for the advice on the 2210P, for now I went for this device and it works like a charm without making any noticable sound at all.

WIll wait for next years release to see what the new line 2.5G of TP-link will bring and use this set up in the meantime.

For now im only left with 1 issue; the fiber optic cable to the house will be placed/ installed later.

(Drill activities for my street were planned for last December but they got postponed for a few months).

So now the initial modem/ router cannot be placed in the meter cupboard. 

Meaning I have to use the incoming Coax cable in the meantime, but it enters the house in a different spot. 

This also means I have to make an additional split where the coax cable comes in because right now I cannot run extra cables through the wall. 

Now the TP-Link TL-SG105E is a managed switch but still limited being a Smart switch. 

Question 1) If I need to make an additional split on a different spot right now (just for a few months untill new cable will be connected to my house);

Would you suggest using a device like the TL-SG2008 to keep everything fully managable? or would you suggest running a TL-SG105E Smart switch instead as temp solution?

Set up will be like:

Ziggo modem --> ER707-M2 router --> (Temporarily) TLSG105E OR TL-SG2008 (one cable goes to the meter cupboard, 4 others will go to devices (non PoE)) --> cable that goes to meter cupboard will be input for the current 2210P --> from there split will be made to 7 different locations/ devices again.

If you cannot follow the set up let me know, then I will try to make a drawing of it to make it more clear.

Question 2) Sorry if this was answered before but do you need to connect the Omada controller to the first switch in the set up, or can I connect it to the second one as well? 

Thanks in advance once again. 

Options
Re:Setting up new home network-Solution
2024-01-08 14:56:53 - last edited 2024-01-18 14:09:02

@Nvb2 

Regarding question 1:

Why not just configure 5 of the ER707 ports as LAN ports and plug the 4 non-POE devices directly into it?  If you have some complicated VLAN stuff that needs to be replicated then the 105 or 2008 approach may be needed, if you are buying this switch, I think the SG2008 is not that much more but would have future value in your network, and you may wish to consider the 2008P variant (+40% in cost) to get 4 POE+ ports.  You may also consider the new SG2005P-PD, it's absolute overkill and pricy for the temp application...but again in the future, if you were to take you network outdoors with cameras etc, it's quite the swiss army knife to have in your toolkit :)

The advantage of having Omada-aware switches is the level of detail you get downstream...here i have my 2210P connected to a 2008 downstream for NAS/printing:

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Recommended Solution
Options
2024-01-08 15:00:31

@Nvb2 

Regarding Question 2:

The Omada controller can live anywhere in your network as long as it has access to the management VLAN--it doesn't have to be on the router or top level switch.  If you are using the hardware controller, I like to keep it near my POE switch and power it that way (as my main 2210P's are on UPS).  If you are using a wall adapter or a laptop, you can also just plug it directly into the ER707 (which is the foolproof method as those ports are by default always part of VLAN1-untagged which is the default management VLAN).  You can use the second port of the OC200 for another device but keep in mind those are 100M ports not 1Gbp.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2024-01-18 14:20:22

@d0ugmac1 

Thanks for all your input and previous answers. Tne new (temporarily) modem of my provider arrived yesterday.

Just did a quick test (with the original Modem/Router of provider in set-up, not yet with the ER707-M2) and all seems to be working good right now.

The EAP683 are also giving good wi-fi speed now, average of 900+ mbps. 

Will start reading in how to set up the modem as a bridge and how to config the ER707-m2 as my main router in the coming weeks.

If I get new questions during this 'quest' I will create a new topic for help. 

Just wanted to thank you for all the help and let you know about the current endsituation (for now ;)) 

Options
Related Articles