Votes

IPv6 ULA support

IPv6 ULA support
IPv6 ULA support
2024-01-18 11:27:13
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.2.3

I saw this suggested in another thread but that thread was locked so I'd like to propose this here.  Having multiple IP addresses is one of the touted features of IPv6, but also of note is that due to privacy concerns IP addresses are expected to change frequently with IPv6.  This makes setting up a LAN DNS server for IPv6 quite difficult since there is no reliable stable IP address to use other than the link local one.  Perhaps the way to accomplish this would be to add, in wired network -> LAN settings, a section to set up a unique local address prefix in addition to the SLAAC or whatever global address acquisition method is already set up.  It could be quite similar to the "manual prefix" setting that is there now, but be validated against fd00::/8 or fc00::/7 instead of the 2000::/3 that is there now.

Options
4 Reply
Re:IPv6 ULA support
2024-01-19 06:51:01

Hi @borrrden,

Thank you for your valuable feedback.

I've recorded this request and will report it to the developer team for evaluation.

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2024-03-11 09:53:52 - last edited 2024-03-11 09:54:35

@borrrden this, along with NAT66 would be very helpful for people who have ISPs that only provide single addresses and only /64s subnets

Options
2024-03-27 08:04:58

I'm also looking for this, and for the same reason: local DNS resolution in the presence of dynamic IPv6 prefixes.

While this might become irrelevant for my particular need if local DNS resolution is implemented (-> https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/542472), ULA is a standard IPv6 feature that should be supported regardless.

Options
3 weeks ago

I have a ER605 and use it to load balance 2 ISPs both of which support IPv6.  This feature is very much needed since I don't want to be tied to IPs provided only by 1 ISP. I am not sure if one ISP connection goes down if the IPv6 alloaction  will switch to the other ISP IP range. Local DNS is another huge reason.

Options

Information

Helpful: 4

Views: 362

Replies: 4

Voters 4