Open VPN - No routing

Open VPN - No routing

31 Reply
Re:Open VPN - No routing
2024-01-28 19:59:49 - last edited 2024-01-28 20:07:11

@RaRu 

when I read the log it look like the problem is tp-link, OpenVPN on tp-link is very outdated and problably full of security hole. this is from the log on my client, what this exactly meen I don know.

I'm not sure what that means, but I googled a bit here and it looks like tp-link uses an outdated command for compression that the client can't read

[jan. 28, 2024, 20:32:32] EVENT: COMPRESSION_ENABLED info='Asymmetric compression enabled.  Server may send compressed data.  This may be a potential security issue.' trans=TO_DISCONNECTED

I think I find the problem.

in tp-link config there is a line like this

comp-lzo no

modify the config file so it look like this

comp-lzo

remove no at the end.

tested ok.

BUT!!!

this appears in the log after changes, so I dont know but it work now.

[jan. 28, 2024, 20:32:32] EVENT: COMPRESSION_ENABLED info='Asymmetric compression enabled.  Server may send compressed data.  This may be a potential security issue.' trans=TO_DISCONNECTED

Options
2024-01-28 20:08:25

@MR.S 

I saw that message in logs as well. But didn't know how to overcome it. Good to know, thanks! 

Guess OpenVPN creators won't be willing to change their approach so we have to wait for TP-LINK. 

Is there any option to mention their support in here or something? 

Options
2024-01-28 20:56:03

Thank you all. Now I know at least I'm not the only one with this problem and it looks like tp-link is the cause for it.

Can we open an offical ticket for this issue? I'm not sure if tp-link is aware of this problem.

another question: Anyone tried wireguard instead? Is wireguard working with dynDNS like NO-IP?

Options
2024-01-28 20:56:06

@MR.S I can confirm that I am seeing this in the logs:

[Jan 28, 2024, 14:47:29] EVENT:
COMPRESSION_ENABLED
info='Asymmetric compression enabled.
Server may send compressed data.
This may be a potential security issue.
trans=TO_DISCONNECTED

This is insecure, and unacceptable. 

Options
2024-01-28 21:22:58

@Pras71 ER605 V1 does not support Wiregaurd currently or I would be using that.

Options
2024-01-28 21:36:04

@Pras71 

Wire guard works with dyndns for sure. I did it a week ago with duckdns. 

But I don't know if your router supports it. ER706W does for sure. 

Options
2024-01-28 21:54:43

@RaRu 

I originally bought a ER605 v1 from Amazon. I also subscribe to Nord VPN and wanted an always on VPN for my Guest network. On the ER605 v1 OpenVPN Server did not allow you to use a username and password, which Nord VPN requires. ER605 v2 and higher had a firmware upgrade that updated OpenVPN to use a username and password, but the ER605 v1 did not have a new firmware available. I have noticed when I buy TP-Link products from Amazon I always get a v1 product. I reached out to TP-Link support and voiced my concern. They said because my ER605 v1 was still under warranty they would RMA it and send me an ER605 v2. I just had to send the ER605 v1 back to them within 15 days or they would charge me for the new one. Ever since I got the ER605 v2 I have not had OpenVPN issues. I have Server side setup so I can VPN into my home network. My Windows laptop uses the OpenVPN Connect (3.3.3) application. I also have the client side setup with an always on VPN connection to NordVPN. Both works as expected.

Also, there is a lot of talk going on in the OpenVPN forum about Android 14. You might find more answers there.

Options
2024-01-28 21:56:45

@HellBent it still doesn't change the fact that a legacy option leading to weakened security is enabled by default without the ability to disable it.

Options
2024-01-29 08:13:14

When I chose TP-Link over ubiquity it was mainly a cost decision, so I assumed this comes with some disadvantages. But this kind of software/firmware support is an absolute disaster. If I have to make any HW decision in a professional environment, TP-Link would be off the table immediately. For me as a home user it was often the first choice, but right now I would pay the mark up and go to ubiquity.

Options
Re:Open VPN - No routing-Solution
2024-02-02 02:41:44 - last edited 2024-02-02 02:41:48

Anyone who is using Android and experience the issue with OVPN, you might find it helpful:  Solution - No Traffic After OpenVPN Is Connected - Android OpenVPN Connect 3.4.0 Update 

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
Related Articles