Hardware Offloading

Hardware Offloading

Hardware Offloading
Hardware Offloading
2024-02-08 15:52:31 - last edited 2024-02-18 02:05:18
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

Could you help me to find the details of the "Hardware Offload". 

(I am to buy a few of the 605 v2-s and looking to validate the HW acceleration capabilities and limits. Support agent - in the chat - was less aware of this feature. Also the user guide he sent me did not show anything for Hardware Acceleration or Hardware Offload: https://static.tp-link.com/upload/manual/2023/202310/20231009/1910013510_ER605(UN)_UG.pdf)

I mean the setting Under CONFIG > ADVANCED > Hardware Offload tickbox. 

I would like to know the limits of the HW offload.
I know that enabling QoS disables the offload, but I yet to learn if anything else can limit these features running on HW natively: 

HARDWARE FEATURES
Standards and Protocols • IEEE 802.3, 802.3u, 802.3ab, IEEE 802.3x, IEEE 802.1q
• TCP/IP, DHCP, ICMP, NAT, PPPoE, NTP, HTTP, HTTPS, DNS, IPSec, PPTP, L2TP, OpenVPN, SNMP

Thank you in advance, 

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Hardware Offloading-Solution
2024-02-18 02:05:14 - last edited 2024-02-18 02:05:18

Hi @G_r 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

G_r wrote

@Tedd404 

What is the default setting (without controller) ? HW on or off? 

No option to toggle. Default to ON.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
8 Reply
Re:Hardware Offloading
2024-02-10 04:02:32 - last edited 2024-02-10 12:04:31

Hi @G_r 

Hardware offload means hardware acceleration for better performance.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2024-02-10 12:04:09

@Clive_A 

Could you please give me a user guide, config guide reference to this setting, please? 

I was less able to find it there. Also I was not able to find it on the UI of the virtual (demo) device either. 

Options
2024-02-11 12:19:17

@G_r 

G_r wrote

@Clive_A 

Could you please give me a user guide, config guide reference to this setting, please? 

I was less able to find it there. Also I was not able to find it on the UI of the virtual (demo) device either. 

There is no config except for controller mode. If you are using controller, adopt and you can find it there. There is no such a thing in standalone.

ScReW yOu gUyS. I aM GOinG hoMe. —————————————————————— For heaven's sake, can you write and describe your issue based on plain fact, common logic and a methodologic approach? Appreciate it.
Options
2024-02-11 12:35:12

@Tedd404 

What I understood from this topic is, G_r would like to know which feature/function of TP-LINK can be supported by Hardware Offload function. What it can and cannot do. 

Does it support compression / decompression of data? Encryption / decryption of VPN? Wifi traffic? 

What does it do, exactly. 

Just saying that it helps with router performance says nothing. 

Options
2024-02-11 13:17:14

@RaRu 

RaRu wrote

@Tedd404 

What I understood from this topic is, G_r would like to know which feature/function of TP-LINK can be supported by Hardware Offload function. What it can and cannot do. 

Does it support compression / decompression of data? Encryption / decryption of VPN? Wifi traffic? 

What does it do, exactly. 

Just saying that it helps with router performance says nothing. 

Hard to say.

Hard acceleration in video related task.

Hard offloading seem to be helpful in throughput and sessions. Not sure if it gets involved in VPN en and decryption. 

I know that it would be helpful in speed test as previous er605 v1 has something to do with it.

ScReW yOu gUyS. I aM GOinG hoMe. —————————————————————— For heaven's sake, can you write and describe your issue based on plain fact, common logic and a methodologic approach? Appreciate it.
Options
2024-02-11 21:07:44

@Tedd404 

Options
Re:Hardware Offloading-Solution
2024-02-18 02:05:14 - last edited 2024-02-18 02:05:18

Hi @G_r 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

G_r wrote

@Tedd404 

No option to toggle. Default to ON.

Recommended Solution
Options
2024-02-21 17:08:59 - last edited 2024-02-21 17:10:20

@G_r By default it is ON. (Tried speed test scenarios with and wo controller. Wo controller it is ON, unless you start doing QoS, and VPN encryption, and OpenVPN, and ....)

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 530

Replies: 8

Related Articles