One unit from the same Deco M4 (v1) could be updated on one location, others can't (yet) on another

One unit from the same Deco M4 (v1) could be updated on one location, others can't (yet) on another

2024-02-21 19:46:51 - last edited 2024-02-21 19:49:53
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.5.8 Build 20230619 Rel. 48552

I have bought 2 boxes of the 2-pack M4 v1 mesh routers. In our office I have installed 3 of them, in adition to 2 M3W extenders.

Then as I have been so satisfied with the M4, soon I have decided to install the remaining 4th unit as a standalone router in my home even without the need of mesh functionality.

The units of both locations are configures with the same account, so I can manage them from the same Deco app (on Android).

Whenever there is a firmware update, I get a notification from the app.

So did happen this time, as well. I was at home, so I performed the update via app for the home M4 to get the latest firmware v1.6.1 Build 20231227 Rel. 80438. It works with no issues so far.

Next day wanted to do the same for the other location and for my surprise on that network after the update search in the app, it said it's currently up-to-date with the previous firmware, v1.5.8 Build 20230619 Rel. 48552

First I thought, perhaps because of the M3W units that hadn't got new firmware for 3 years (it's on v1.0.6) it doesn't want to let me do it for preventing the network due to the limited functionality of the M3W. However, after disconnecting the M3W units (altough I didn't remove them from the setup), it still didn't show me the new update for the M4's to perform.

What is going on?

I also thought, perhaps it had been pulled for some reason shortly after the release. However it still appears on TP-Link's official support page.

As I said above, these are identical units, the single unit is from the same box with the other that is in the 3-units network.

The android app is up-to-date. The main M4 in both location are in router mode.

Options
2 Reply
Re:One unit from the same Deco M4 (v1) could be updated on one location, others can't (yet) on another
2024-02-22 03:07:17

@Arion 

Hi, Thank you very much for the feedback.

I think you could try to manually update the 1.6.1 firmware via web UI:

How to Update the Firmware of Deco (case 2)

The 1.6.1 firmware download link could be found here:

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/download/deco-m4/v1/#Firmware

Best regards.

Options
Re:One unit from the same Deco M4 (v1) could be updated on one location, others can't (yet) on another
2024-02-22 07:16:35

Thanks. I know I could but I was afraid to do so as it's odd to be a bug in the app.

I thought it was intentionally hidden for that mixed setup with M3W or has been pulled due to bug reports.

Can you confirm that there is no known issue that would suggest not to update?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 251

Replies: 2

Related Articles