Identifying individual powerline adapters when several are used

2024-02-27 11:11:25 - last edited 2024-02-27 22:58:43
Model: TL-WPA8630P KIT  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

This is a (probably) daft question, where the answer is obvious, but it's driving me nuts! I have a WiFi system which is predominately TP-Link, but my security cameras are running off dedicated Powerline adapters (AV1200) dotted around the premises. Using the TP-Link tpPLC Powerline monitoring program, I am able to change the WiFi name (and password) of each adapter - in theory anyway - so that it's easily recognized when setting up connected devices, in this case security cameras. This is important to me as the WiFi fields of these adapters (I have five in total) do overlap slightly, and I need to know which security camera is connected to which Powerline adapter.

The problem I have is this: If I change the WiFi name of one adapter (not the password), all the other powerline adapters change to the same name, which totally defeats what I am trying to achieve. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong, or is it  a specific feature of these adapters and/or the tpPLC monitoring software?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Identifying individual powerline adapters when several are used-Solution
2024-02-27 21:40:33 - last edited 2024-02-27 22:58:43

@Jeff1005 

Hi,

Yes, that specific feature is called "Wi-Fi Move". For whatever reason TP-Link decided to enable it by default. Below is the part of the user manual that deals with it.

You can check if there is a "Wi-Fi Move" switch in the tpPLC software as well, but if there is not, then unfortunately you will need to log into the web management interface of every single adapter separately.

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Identifying individual powerline adapters when several are used-Solution
2024-02-27 21:40:33 - last edited 2024-02-27 22:58:43

@Jeff1005 

Hi,

Yes, that specific feature is called "Wi-Fi Move". For whatever reason TP-Link decided to enable it by default. Below is the part of the user manual that deals with it.

You can check if there is a "Wi-Fi Move" switch in the tpPLC software as well, but if there is not, then unfortunately you will need to log into the web management interface of every single adapter separately.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Identifying individual powerline adapters when several are used
2024-02-27 22:58:27

@woozle 

Thanks so much for that information; it solved my problem. I do think that, while a facility to do "global" updating of WiFi names is a convenient ability, TP-Link should not have made that the default setting. I did have to go around and disable the feature individually, but it was well worth the effort.

Once again, many thanks for the solution - it would have taken me forever to have to find that on my own.

All the best,

Jeff.

Options