The picture is too bright and the video quality is poor.

3 weeks ago
Model: VIGI C340-W  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 2.0.4 Build 230814 Rel.61613n

Good afternoon.

Is it possible to solve this problem for this type ? If it were possible, I would modify the firmware instead of the manufacturer.
I have 4 cameras of this type, all with this problem.
Too bright in daylight and the bit rate is quite low. If there is a problem taking a still photo this could be a problem.
Support a few months ago told me to set the exposure to 1/10000. This is a good solution, but from evening to morning the image quality will be very poor. Should I manually set the exposure to 1/10000 every morning and auto at night ? This is not a solution either.
I tried the BLC area. I put it in the middle. Did not help.
I also don't write anything for the weak 2.5k bitrate. Having bought this camera for quite a lot of money on release, I expected a bit more from it.
I attach a photo where you can see the excessive brightness during the day in auto mode. The camera is not facing daylight, it is shining the sunlight on the roadway. When you pass anything on the road, you can't see anything from the whiteness.
When shooting at night, you can see ghosting quite often.
I thought firmware updates would come regularly for this type, but I was wrong. The last update came last September. I have not found any solution to this problem. I do not want to change firmware because of the warranty.
I have reinstalled the devices several times. I contacted the local shop where I bought it, they told me to contact tp-link support. Support only recommended the exposure value to put on.

I thought about buying some of the newer 500 series, but I think that will be the problem there too.

Options
3 Reply
Re:The picture is too bright and the video quality is poor.
3 weeks ago

Hi @RagnaRokpapa 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

This is some kind of photography knowledge.

I'd say you have some good-quality images from the picture you posted. I am not sure if this is too bright for you but everything shows up pretty clear.

It seems that only the white lane bothered you. Which reflects the sunlight to your camera and you think that part is overexposed?

For the regular camera, I am talking about the SLR camera, you can set the light test. However, this is a surveillance camera which lacks this function. It is nothing compared to the SLR camera or any type of pro camera. Lowering the shutter speed would be the way to avoid overexposure. This is correct.

Or you should adjust the angle. Maybe lower the camera so that the white lane will be upper in the image. Will that lower the light?

Just know that the camera cannot beat the human eyes. Even with the thousands of dollars in SLR cameras, they may also be overexposed if the light is not properly tested or if parameters are not correct. And in low light or certain sunlight environments, it does not match what your eyes see.

WDR is enabled? This should be helpful in adjusting the white balance.

Oh, one idea came across, that you may consider the filters. Some filters can lower the light. I am not recommending a brand but proposing a way to avoid overexposure. There are different lens filters for various scenarios.

Or try the lens hood. Get a cardboard, and paste it on over the top of the camera lens. Will that help?

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
3 weeks ago - last edited 3 weeks ago

@Clive_A 

Thank you for your reply.

In the attached picture you can see that the camera is tilted a few degrees, not facing up. There is a small sunshade on it. Direct sunlight does not reach it during the day. Simply the roadway is very bright, so nothing is visible in the subject. The white light also makes it impossible to see the number plate of a passing car.

The only way to get a good picture is to change the aperture from auto to 1/10000. Then after dark the shot will be completely black, no night shooting. I don't use WDR. I have attached a current setting.

For now, I set the aperture to max in the morning and auto in the evening. So the picture is correct .

I think the problem is software related.
For example, it would be nice if the aperture could be timed. E.g. 1/10000 from morning to evening, automatic from evening to morning.

(Other: I don't understand the poor picture quality. It should be 4mp, in 2k the picture is not so good.)

Options
3 weeks ago - last edited 3 weeks ago

Hi @RagnaRokpapa 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

RagnaRokpapa wrote

@Clive_A 

Thank you for your reply.

In the attached picture you can see that the camera is tilted a few degrees, not facing up. There is a small sunshade on it. Direct sunlight does not reach it during the day. Simply the roadway is very bright, so nothing is visible in the subject. The white light also makes it impossible to see the number plate of a passing car.

The only way to get a good picture is to change the aperture from auto to 1/10000. Then after dark the shot will be completely black, no night shooting. I don't use WDR. I have attached a current setting.

For now, I set the aperture to max in the morning and auto in the evening. So the picture is correct .

I think the problem is software related.
For example, it would be nice if the aperture could be timed. E.g. 1/10000 from morning to evening, automatic from evening to morning.

(Other: I don't understand the poor picture quality. It should be 4mp, in 2k the picture is not so good.)

Consider changing these parameters for the day.

1/10000 shutter speed will get nothing in the night. Use the IR mode as well.

The problem is simple as it is overexposed. We need to address that in the day. And enable night mode(IR) at night.

This is no longer a problem with the camera itself. As written, even if you have a camera with a crazy 0.85 aperture, it will not make a difference if the sunlight is too bright or something is too bright causing overexposure.

Change the white balance and shutter speed is the common way to deal with overexposure. In the IPC, you don't have the option to change the ISO. So, it is not discussed here.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options