ER605 - a wise choice?

ER605 - a wise choice?
ER605 - a wise choice?
2024-06-08 10:09:52 - last edited 2024-06-11 02:43:01
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi Guys

I have just migrated to Omada and five wifi6 access points - and like the platform.

Use case is home... with just over 100 wifi devices and about 90 wired devices, and 1GB FTTP.

Before I buy a TP-Link router, can I ask some real life questions of the ER605?

I am happy with the  published throughput, inc VPN performance with that device, but have some must-have questions and expectations.

The 5 RJ ports - I need two for WAN, which appears to be fine (I am ignoring the USB WAN option).

The remaining three ports - can you confirm if these are treated as ports on a switch, or can you address them and configure rules - referring to them as eth2,3,4 etc?

If you cant address then as discreet interfaces, can you apply VLANS on them, and apply routing/rules on the VLAN basis? Is that tagged or only PVID basis?

Can I apply VLAN to the management interface - looks like it cant support that.

SYSLOG - seems changing the port is not supported in GUI or CLI - is there a way? (ie we are stuck with 514.... I need 1514).

If I have an access point on the dirty side of one WAN interface, I assume I will be able to configure Omada to still see it and manage it - will this be straight forward (usual firewall rules and tag for VLAN)?

Lastly - can I export/mport config and various rules? If I move over to this platform, I have a heap of rules that need to be migrated.

I may be stretching the functionality and intended use of this device - if so, is there a sensible cost and functionality option that is Omada managed?

Sorry for so many questions!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:ER605 - a wise choice?-Solution
2024-06-11 02:41:50 - last edited 2024-06-11 02:43:01

Hi @URL 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

URL wrote

The 5 RJ ports - I need two for WAN, which appears to be fine (I am ignoring the USB WAN option).

The remaining three ports - can you confirm if these are treated as ports on a switch, or can you address them and configure rules - referring to them as eth2,3,4 etc?

To a router, except for the WAN, the rest of the ports are switching ports.

Rule to the ports, nope.

URL wrote

If you cant address then as discreet interfaces, can you apply VLANS on them, and apply routing/rules on the VLAN basis? Is that tagged or only PVID basis?

Yes. Tagged or untagged, PVID capable. If a device support 802.1Q VLAN, it should support these basic features. Management VLAN is technically available in the Controller mode.

URL wrote

SYSLOG - seems changing the port is not supported in GUI or CLI - is there a way? (ie we are stuck with 514.... I need 1514).

If I have an access point on the dirty side of one WAN interface, I assume I will be able to configure Omada to still see it and manage it - will this be straight forward (usual firewall rules and tag for VLAN)?

Lastly - can I export/mport config and various rules? If I move over to this platform, I have a heap of rules that need to be migrated.

I may be stretching the functionality and intended use of this device - if so, is there a sensible cost and functionality option that is Omada managed?

Controller mode is doable. Not for the standalone. (This is actually the log of the controller. Not for the router.)

As for the router, this is preset. It does not conflict on the router but it may not be the same thing to your server. But it should use this as it is a known port. You can make adjustment on your server end.

URL wrote

About this, you should refer to this doc: Which ports do Omada SDN Controller and Omada Discovery Utility use? (above Controller 5.0.15)

It explains how the controller works.

URL wrote

Export, yes. The import file must come from the export. The whole system is a backup. Not possible for a single function to import/export its rules.

Omada system does not support back/config from other systems.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:ER605 - a wise choice?
2024-06-08 16:41:23

@URL 

With that many devices, i think a ER7206 v2 would be a better choice as it has substantially more horsepower.  regardless, the below applies to both

Each LAN port can be configured to a single, or multiple VLANS, tagging, untagging and PVID.  You can aslo effectively disable ports by removing them from all VLANs

You can manage intervlan routing using ACLs.  By default, all VLANs can talk to each other without restriction.  ACLs let you manage this with pretty fine control.

You cannot specify a management VLAN, but you can block VLANs you dont want to be able to access the GUI of the router using ACLs.

you cannot import rules from any other platforms so will have to make them from scratch.

Options
Re:ER605 - a wise choice?-Solution
2024-06-11 02:41:50 - last edited 2024-06-11 02:43:01

Hi @URL 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

URL wrote

To a router, except for the WAN, the rest of the ports are switching ports.

Rule to the ports, nope.

URL wrote

Yes. Tagged or untagged, PVID capable. If a device support 802.1Q VLAN, it should support these basic features. Management VLAN is technically available in the Controller mode.

URL wrote

Controller mode is doable. Not for the standalone. (This is actually the log of the controller. Not for the router.)

As for the router, this is preset. It does not conflict on the router but it may not be the same thing to your server. But it should use this as it is a known port. You can make adjustment on your server end.

URL wrote

About this, you should refer to this doc: Which ports do Omada SDN Controller and Omada Discovery Utility use? (above Controller 5.0.15)

It explains how the controller works.

URL wrote

Export, yes. The import file must come from the export. The whole system is a backup. Not possible for a single function to import/export its rules.

Omada system does not support back/config from other systems.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Recommended Solution
Options